Ben & Jerry’s becomes 1st high-profile company to support Wall Street Occupation
We, the Ben & Jerry’s Board of Directors, compelled by our personal convictions and our Company’s mission and values, wish to express our deepest admiration to all of you who have initiated the non-violent Occupy Wall Street Movement and to those around the country who have joined in solidarity. The issues raised are of fundamental importance to all of us. These include:
- The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral.
- We are in an unemployment crisis. Almost 14 million people are unemployed. Nearly 20% of African American men are unemployed. Over 25% of our nation’s youth are unemployed.
- Many workers who have jobs have to work 2 or 3 of them just to scrape by.
- Higher education is almost impossible to obtain without going deeply in debt.
- Corporations are permitted to spend unlimited resources to influence elections while stockpiling a trillion dollars rather than hiring people.
Up until now, formal support of the movement has included political leaders and unions, however, private companies have stayed out of it.
Ben & Jerry’s endorsement is accompanied by a transparent list of what they’ve spent money lobbying for (and against). Opposition to FDA support of genetically modified foods / food from cloned animals, support for United Nations Millennium Development goals: it’s pretty righteous.
Who will be the next company to support the 99%?