Please donate to one of the following orgs to support disaster relief in Haiti.
- UNICEF. Go online to unicefusa.org/haitiquake or call (800) 4UNICEF.
- Red Cross. Go online to redcross.org, or call (800) REDCROSS.
- Direct Relief International. Donate online at directrelief.org.
- Mercy Corp. Go online to mercycorps.org or mail checks to Haiti Earthquake Fund, Dept. NR, PO Box 2669, Portland, Ore. 97208 or call (888) 256-1900
[Special Note 1/14/10 @2:15 EST]
We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and willing volunteers. Thank you.
At this point we are working in direct concert with consul in NYC and established orgs to determine their needs and to wait for their direction.
Please note that Matador will not be taking volunteers to Haiti who are unqualified or unskilled as medican professionals and/or proven disaster relief.
If you’d like to support volunteer efforts in Haiti, please consider donating to one of the orgs listed here.
We’ll continue to keep you updated as we learn more.
Plans are coming together for a trip of Matador volunteers to go to Haiti to assist in earthquake recovery and relief.
Whether you’ve already contacted us to express your interest in going, or whether you want to help from home, here’s a list of the items we want to take with us. Consider starting a collection among your friends and family members. Every donation makes a difference.
Baby formula (dry/powder)
Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothpaste)
First aid kits
Over the counter medicines
T-shirts, pants, lightweight jackets
Non perishable food that’s not in cans (seal-paks of tuna, for example)
There are dozens more items; this is just a starter list. Think flat, lightweight, easily packable.
Interested in sending your donations to Haiti with Matador? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related ArticlesJump to More Related Articles ↓
Julie Schwietert Collazo is a writer, editor, researcher, and translator currently in New York, formerly of Mexico City and San Juan.
More By This Author
- PeaceBOMB: From bombs to bracelets (2 comments)
- How to become a travel writer (seriously) (73 comments)
- Essential packing list for the Catalonian Pyrenees (1 comments)