Bike the US for MS raises awareness and funds for Multiple Sclerosis research through an annual summer bike trip across the United States.
I FIRST HEARD ABOUT Bike the US for MS over beers at a taquería in Blacksburg, Virginia. I met members of the team who told stories about their recent cross country trip and described the stoke of slow travel, connecting with locals, and challenging their stamina for MS research and awareness.
Bike the US for MS has raised over $60,000 for Multiple Sclerosis research over the last three years, hoping to contribute $100,000 by this summer’s end.
Beginning June 1st, 2010, the Bike the US for MS team will bike 3,800 miles in about 60 days, from Yorktown, Virginia, to San Francisco, California, along the TransAm and Western Express. They’ll average 70 miles per day, cycling through small towns that aren’t usually seen on interstates.
It’s the updated great American road trip. The fun is still in getting there, but the 1950′s Chevy Bel Airs have been traded for serious road bikes, and the travelers have social purpose and a desire to connect with people and place.
Here are photos from the team’s 2007 and 2009 across the US trips. All photos courtesy of Donald Fraser.
1. The coast-to-coast trip begins in Virginia.
2. The team riding for MS. There are approximately 400,000 people in the US with multiple sclerosis (MS) - with 200 more people diagnosed every week. MS is estimated to affect more than 2.5 million people worldwide.
3. The bikers average 70 miles a day, burning thousands of calories. Energy bars and water= survival.
4. The team camps outside or stays with whoever will host them.
5. Team member stops at Logan Pass.
6. Camaraderie is inevitable after two months together.
7. Connecting with locals.The team also performs service projects for MS patients, like building ramps and raking leaves.
8. Hitting another state-Wyoming.
9. Riding. Riding. Riding.
10. Part of the team posing at the Grand Tetons.
Team at Grand Tetons
11. Breaking for North Cascades National Park.
On the road again
12. On the road again.
13. Stopping for a break.
14. Going through Washington Pass.
15. The team finishes in Oregon, 2009.
16. The Bike the US team, 2009.