6 responses to Reminding Me Of Self

1. Yep, I get you. But we have had conversations like this many times. Recently I told someone I go to a samba class every Wednesday and he assumed I was Brazilian. I started thinking that there is a positive and negative side for being so diverse (to others).

PRO If I teach myself certain languages and cultural attributes, I can transform to someone completely different. Which means if I master samba and learn to speak Portuguese, I can transform into a different me. Brazilian born, but adopted by West Indian parents when I was 6. My accent is different because I only started to learn the Portuguese language when I was 16. I can dance samba because before my biological parents died I went to a samba school (they wanted me to become a professional). I never forgot the music and the way it made me dance. ;) …That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

PRO I enjoy people guessing who I am. It’s like a game and they will never win!

CON/PRO I cannot (as many blacks) fit into a “what you see is what you get” category because people will never know who I am until I tell them.

I am:
    Jamaican (which I rarely get)
    African – Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire
    Haitian (but only in Montreal)
    Some Asian in my blood (which is correct)
    Brazilian
    Trinidadian (rare , but correct)
    ….and for some reason people assume I speak french even when I’m speaking English. When I’m with my boyfriend people speak English to him and French to me. I think they assume I’m adjusting for him, but it’s the other way around.

2. Thanks Pierre! And yes, I’ll keep on being Canadian, whatever that means :-)

3. Keep on being Canadian! Great post!

4. Well written and I totally understand your point of view!!

5. Thanks for readind Katka! SUmmer is definitely the best time come visit, we’ve got lots of festivals!

6. Nice post! Been meaning to get up there soon!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>