Danube Delta is second in size in Europe after the Volga delta, with approximately 4180 km2, and but if we consider Razim – Sinoe and Danube estuary, this area extends to approximately 5500 km2 . Delta belongs in a proportion of 82% of Romania, the rest being located in Ukraine. Delta area is divided into three types of areas: 20 strictly protected areas, with a total area of 506 km2 buffer zone with an area of 2233 km2 and economic zones with a total area of 3060 km2.
Danube Delta is an exotic destination where you have the chance to observe over 1830 species of trees and plants, over 2440 species of insects, 91 species of mollusks, 11 species of reptiles, 10 species of amphibians, 320 species of birds and 44 mammal species, many of them being unique species and natural monuments. Do not forget that live in its waters for 133 species of fish, which are an important source of food for birds and aquatic mammals and an important scientific and economic resource. Here you have the opportunity to meet together all plant species-lake of Europe, reflected in multiple living environments: submerged floating vegetation, riparian vegetation that forms the edge of a flooded ponds and lakes, grassy meadows of marine areas, vegetation areas and areas with salty water temporarily. You’ll see a land that is the most important resting place for migratory birds traveling between the tropical and the arctic, five of the most important roads pass through here. Many of these birds will surely accompany your walks along the boat. Besides migratory species, nest here and a large number of rare species as summer guests, as others guests for the winter, hatch in northern Europe and come to spend the winter in the Delta.
Fixed vegetation areas covers 43% forests (both the natural and planted), agricultural land covers about 4%, pastures occupy about 6%. Delta lakes, now reduced to a total of 479, is around 7.8% of the delta. From geographically point of view, Delta is the most humid part of Europe, the lowest and newer flat region, dominated mainly areas with low height in relation to the level 0 of the Black Sea, the greatest height being the marine areas in Letea Caraorman 13 m and 8 m from the level 0 to the Black Sea, a rate below 21% are in the negative share the remaining 79% being situated above sea level. The average altitude of the Danube Delta is 0.52 m Danube reached its Patlageanca (west of Tulcea) splits into two arms, arms chile North and Tulcea to south arm that then to Ceatalul Ismail splits in Sulina (west-east direction) and Sf Gheorghe (NW-SE direction). Danube arm length: 120 km Chilia, Sf Gheorghe 70 km and 64 km Sulina. Depth of water in the Danube Delta Chilia 39 m, 34 m on arm Tulcea, Sf Gheorghe 26 m and 18 m on Sulina. The greatest depth of the Delta, excluding Danube branches, located in Lake Belciug of 7 m, in other lakes depths not exceeding 3 m (Lake Razim).