Location: San Salvador, Southern Bahamas (aka Watling Island)
San Salvador is a diver’s heaven, filled with deep wall dives, long swim throughs and hammerhead sharks. Located in the southern most Bahamian island chain, San Salvador is unique because it is secluded and situated on the outer reaches making the island less touristed; also keeping its tiny population under 1000. Wikipedia illustrates the islands unique history:
“It is widely believed that during Christopher Columbus’ first expedition to the New World, San Salvador Island was the first land he sighted and visited on 12 October 1492; he named it San Salvador after Christ the Saviour.”
- Liveaboard on the TCEX II, Explorer Ventures
- Resort vacation at Columbus Isle, Club Med Resort
- Land based with Riding Rock Resort and Marina
Logistics: Fly into George Town (GGT), Exuma Bahamas then hop onto the Explorer liveaboard for a week of diving out to San Salvador. If land based, fly into George Town then transfer to San Salvador via domestic flight.
Favourite Dive Sites:
Telephone Pole – Landing place of Christopher Columbus commemorated with an underwater plaque in the sand which is just off a fantastic wall dive with a maze of large coral heads. Also has a deep swim through from 50′ft to 90′ft.
- Shallow or deep dive depending on preference.
- Good for DSD or OW training as well as experienced divers.
- Easy navigation and fantastic night dives.
Double Caves – Best dive site at San Salvador. Starts with a sandy bottom leading to a healthy wall which drops off into the abyss. Two ‘double’ caves parallel each other entering on shallow side of wall at 90′ft. You then swim through and exit at 110′ft into the blue. High chance of encounters with hammerheads!
- Intermediate to advanced skill level required. Swim throughs are deep and hard to find so guide required.
- Site subject to current and swell near surface. Usually great visibility.
Great Cut - Dramatic wall dive which looks like a large piece of land has been cut away from the island. Drop into a shallow reef full of macro life and then head over the wall into the cut. Dive through the cut then around the outside of wall before moving shallower.
- Intermediate to advanced skill requirement as wall starts at 50′ft then drops into the abyss.
- Swim through at 130′ft for advanced divers wanting short dive.
- Easy navigation and can see ‘cut’ from surface with good visibility. Site subject to strong current and swell.
Unique Creature Sightings: Hammerhead sharks, whale sharks, dolphins, eagle rays, manta rays, frog fish, giant spiny lobsters, lager head turtles, lettuce leaf sea slugs and a wide diversity of nudibranchs.
Overall Experience: 9.5 out of 10
For more information on the island of San Salvador.