3 responses to Brothels that look like nightclubs and other assorted fun in Istanbul

1. syed said on May 26, 2009

I was in Istanbul with my brother last June 2008. While walking down Istiklal Street around 9-10pm at night, I was approached by a half Lebanese man who had a nice friendly conversation. However he started talking about a pub he recommends us to have a drink with beautiful Russian and Turkish women to entertain us. Since me and my brother had no other intentions in mind as to where to settle down, we follow him instead to this pub which is located in one of narrow streets along the Istiklal.
    Upon entering the pub, it was much cosy and me, my brother and the gentleman take a sit together on a table. We ordered a jug of beer. The man asked me whether do I want to have a girl sit beside me. I told him its ok as I just want to have a drink only thats all. 15 minutes later, a girl simply just sit beside me. She is a sexy lady wearing skimpy dress with high stockings. We have a little chat together suddenly. And then came the part where she asked whether can she has a drink. I said ok why not. So 1 glass of red wine was poured for her. We continue having conversation for the next 10 or so minutes and she finishes the 1st glass and the waiter just came from nowhere and poured a 2nd glass of wine for her. Now I am being skeptical about this ladies drink situation here and straight away asked for the bill. To my surprise, the bill came out to a total of USD$500.00. Yes five hudred dollars for just 2 glasses of red wine for the lady and 1 jug of beer. My goodness. I think this is all but just a scam and me and my brother are considered victims here. I told the guy sitting with us that this is simply ridiculous and I shall NOT pay the amount billed. The girl sitting with me then just walk away to be replaced by the pub manager who INSIST I pay the bill in full. I argued with him for a while due to the large bill and that i can only afford to pay the most 50 lira for the whole thing. He asked me to show him my wallet but I refused. When things started to get a little hot here when he threaten to cut my ears at the back of the pub if I don pay up, I then just took out a 50 lira note and put on the table and then just stand up in a very angry and “don give a fucking damn thing attitude” about the manager giving me an attitude look and pushed him hand aside and walk away from the table and down the stairs leading me outside. My brother followed me behind. Once outside, we just ran away quickly before any unexpected incident happens. This is all part of a scam being going on around that area for quite some time. Only realised later onwards from an article from Wikipedia which confirms that. Please beware of any friendly gentlemen trying to befriend you along the streets. They just want to dry out your wallets.

2. Ah you took my suggestion to heart!! :)

Great piece, and I feel like there are lots of stories here…

I love that you will be there for 3.5 months. I’ll be interested to see how your impressions change over time, as you get to know the city and its people better.

Great stuff, keep it up!

–Christine

—–
    My blog: almostfearless.com

3. Hi I like your writing, but holy paragraph breaks! Give us some white space my friend! Not to cramp your style, just a suggestion!

–Christine

—–
    My blog: almostfearless.com

Please Log In

You must log in to view this content.

Remember me Forgot my password