1 response to How safe is New Zealand?

1. The only reason I read this article was because I was surprised to see how anyone could think that NZ was not safe. Really like the article’s style.

A couple of years back, I spent 9 months backpacking through NZ and loved the country. Now I live in Cape Town, South Africa, and must say, you simply can’t compare those two countries. At least not when it comes to crime. (When it comes to beauty, I still can’t make up my mind which one is more beautiful!)

Even though they broke one of our car windows in Auckland, I never felt scared in this country, not for one moment, not alone, not at night, not in a “dodgy” area, not in the middle of nowhere. Never!

South Africa is safer than it is portrayed in international news (I had one incident of attempted petty theft in four years), but there are certain rules you should adhere to if you want to keep your possessions and life. Being a relatively poor country with a rather violent history, its people sometimes see crime as their only way of survival.

I am sick and tired of hearing how safe or unsafe a certain country is. I’ve often been asked why would I leave the social and personal safety of Germany (my home country) to live in South Africa!? Because safety is relative and SA has so much more to offer in life quality. You are as safe as you want to be and all you need in any country is common sense, an open heart and a broad smile.

Please Log In

You must log in to view this content.

Remember me Forgot my password