3 responses to Arenal Observatory Lodge

1. Hello Mark,
    Thank you for your lovely comment! I talked to many birders while staying at the Observatory, and they all had long lists of species they had seen on the grounds, including a quetzal or two. It’s a beautiful property to wander around and explore, and I hope you have a wonderful time! Also, thank you for letting me know about the great currasow; I’m not a birder, myself, so I appreciate the advice when it comes to IDing species. I’ve changed the caption accordingly! Cheers!

2. Dear Kat,

I very much enjoyed reading your blog entry today about the Arenal Observatory Lodge. You are a talented writer!

Your blog entry was especially interesting because AOL will be the first lodge on the ten-day birding trip I am leading to northern Costa Rica in May. This will be my 11th trip to Costa Rica but my first visit to this lodge, so your notes are useful to help me know what to expect.

If I may, I’d like to offer a note about one of your bird pictures: rather than a Crested Guan, you photographed a much less commonly seen relative, the Great Currasow. This is a female, and the male is all black with a bright yellow knob of skin on top of his upper mandible! I’ve had the good fortune to see several of them, but the female was the first of this species I got to see. Certainly a special memory for me!

Best regards,

Mark W. Larson
    President
    MARICOPA AUDUBON SOCIETY
    Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe, Arizona

3. Very informative reading with beautiful pictures – really nice…

Please Log In

You must log in to view this content.

Remember me Forgot my password