2 responses to Journeys around Bali: biophilia

1. Thanks for the support Scott, I was a bit nervous about this post because I didn’t want to come across like I was spouting about something I haven’t a clue. I’m simply saying what I’ve noticed and asking questions.
    I would hate for someone to think that I was blaming the individual, especially hawkers at ground level who are using the resources that are available to them, that we all use. The plastic bag in the plastic bag, was an example of how much they are used over here.
    Cheers :)

2. Agreed. Across the board, agreed. But, consider the coconut, the wrapped coconut . . . I’ve gotta think that before “We” came, no such ‘protection’ existed . . . the coconut probably was served as-is, and no one minded. And then “We” came . . . perhaps some word got through to the seller than they’d sell more coconuts to “Us” if they were wrapped, so they did. How do we tell this coconut seller – who makes maybe dollars a day – not to wrap their coconuts because of the environmental impact, though by doing so their sales might plummet . . .

I think too that We need to define, and strictly, what “eco-tourism” is. “Eco” gets thrown onto so many things, and there is no standard definition to what that means, exactly. Here in the States we throw words like ‘eco’ around, and ‘Natural’ (when there is no definition of what that means; anybody can use it) Eco and Natural “sell” . . . people want to think they’re doing the right thing, but often, in the end, those are just words, marketing tools.

I myself am working on a piece of writing right now that deals with this subject. A great contemporary source of information for me – which tangentially touches on these things but extends into the realm of indigenous rights, is Wade Davis’s “The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World.”

In my mind, it is not the lady selling coconuts who is necessarily ‘the problem:’ she is, for me, a symptom of the larger problem, which is simply the pursuit of the dollar at any cost. “We” are part of the problem, those of us that travel, that get on planes (spewing the carbon monoxide that you find so annoying) . . . it is a complex problem, and one that I can tell you has been going on for decades (I came to consciousness in 1970, the buzz word then, as now, “we’ve gotta do something about these plastic bags” . . . )

Plastic bags are the fruit that falls from the larger tree of capitalism, the pursuit of the dollar at any price, and until that larger topic is addressed, that fruit will continue to fall.

Please Log In

You must log in to view this content.

Remember me Forgot my password