5 responses to Drawbacks of long travel abroad

1. I really enjoyed this. I had (and still have) a lot of the same feeling you do about living abroad, then returning home, about feeling like you have to settle down but not really wanting to and about making friends abroad and having less friends when you return home. How long were you away from home?

But take courage! I’m learning that real friendships and happiness last no matter where we are in the world if we work at them!!

2. This is such a great post. I feel like this is exactly what I would write after I travelled or better yet lived abroad for some time. I am so glad you had that chance to experience both ends of the spectrum. The travel part and the return home. It isn’t the end of the road. As long as you are still living keep on traveling and see the world as it was meant to be seen. Cheers!

3. It’s hard to understand something when it hasn’t been experienced (by the way, I am Experiential:), and then again, even when and if two people experience the same exact thing/at the same time, the experiences may differ, what one person comes away with is not (at all) necessarily what the other does.

I took my first international trip in ’79, and have spent, all told, years abroad since then, mainly in Asia, more specifically India. Travel is for me, the most complete education there is. But I hold nothing against anyone who finds it not so.

And Yes!, the people I’ve met traveling, though I’ve spent perhaps little time with them, are some of the most indelible people in my life

Travel . . . ahhhhh travel . . . we may love it, we may hate it, but we will never be the same again for having gone.

Walk on!

4. Well said Jephrey, and thanks for reading my blog. It’s true, they kinda don’t understand. But I will definitely go back out there. It’s waiting for me.

5. I know what you mean, Reyanii. I just spent 3 months in Europe and visited 14 countries. When I arrived back in the states, it was a bit of a shock just to go out to a restaurant! I still had the travel bug in me. So, I went on a 2 week tour of southeast America and visited some friends. Now, I have already booked a flight to head to Arizona and California to visit family and friends. I’m already starting to plan other trips for 2013. Being a traveler can be lonely sometimes, which is what a lot of people, that don’t travel, can’t understand. When we’re out there seeing the world, we meet amazing people and learn so much. When we come back, we have to adjust to what it is that surrounds us. For me, the answer is to get back out there and explore. Keep in touch with the people you meet while traveling. You may not see them for a couple of years, but you will see them and they will be waiting with open arms. The road is long, but the friendships are longer!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>