6 responses to Failed Escape

1. It appears our “diary entries” are quite similar haha. This time of year is a nature photographer’s dream: cherry blossoms! Alternately what I did last year was to pick a random subway stop outside of the city & just take a Sunday to wander alone. Can you still be a hermit amongst hundreds/thousands/millions of people?

2. Somewhat accurate, yes. And I admit my one-sidedness when discussing this topic. As must as I get frustrated with certain things in Korea, there have been some amazing memories that I’ve taken from it. I explored Jeju for a week, which was incredible and truly worth all of the hype outside of the overrun tourism, but really a beautiful place. I haven’t been to the mud festival, but hoping to go this year, and I did a templestay in Suwon just outside of Seoul a month after I came to Korea and absolutely loved it. Also wrote a long piece about it, and was my first major piece inside Korea.

So as much as I voice my disdain with some of the things in this country, I believe I’ve written of many positives before as well, although it doesn’t come off that way in the article. But thanks for fighting for Korea, it really isn’t a bad place to live, especially if only temporarily. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time here!

3. So… You just decided to move to a foreign country on a whim? A country that you obviously did not research, learn the language of, or (it seems) even leave Seoul very often for more parts of the country? Alternately, I commend you for taking the initiative to move to a foreign country and would recommend travelling through Jeju island if you haven’t already been there. Just avoid the tourist traps if you can but it would be extremely helpful if you brought along a korean-speaking friend to mediate. There is also a mud festival, and I believe there are more in other cities as well(?), that attracts a lot of foreign travelers. And the third suggestion I have is a temple stay which usually costs around 50,000 won at a Buddhist temple. It looks like you have a plan in motion to leave Korea but I hope those three things help make the rest of your time in Korea a little more bearable.

Oh, and there are also trips to the DMZ if that kind of thing floats your boat and there are a even two or three travel agencies that can get you a heavily monitored tour of a city in North Korea.

4. We all learn to walk, no matter what our age. First steps can be tentative, no crime in that; the only harm there is is not going (if one is called to go)

And, as Miles Davis said: Don’t fear mistakes. There are none.

Safe travels

5. This is very true! It can be difficult to see what’s below when I always seem to be looking up. I am proud and happy to have taken the first step, and know it only gives me more confidence to press forward. And you’re right, it truly is an amazing world, and I can’t wait to see more of it!

6. Oh but you did escape :) . . . you took the first step . . . not as far away as you’d like, more homogenous than you ‘expected’ (those damned expectations again:) . . . but you are at the door . . . such an amazing world . . . sounds like you have a good plan to ‘make it’ to ’14 . . . :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>