This page outlines what potential Matador contributors and job seekers need to know.
Read the following before submitting
Matador seeks original writing, photography, and video that promotes travel culture around the world.
1. Familiarize yourself with the general topics Matador publishes on – Find them on our Topics page.
2. Avoid submitting on specific topics or story angles we’ve already published – Use the search box above and our archives grid to review existing content.
3. Publishing rights – Read our full Author’s Rights.
4. Payment – Standard payment is $20 or $25, depending on article type and length, payable via PayPal. ($40-$60 may be offered in special circumstances; please note this is determined on a case-by-case basis.) We are currently on a twice-monthly payment schedule, so you will see payment 2-4 weeks after your article is published.
Sending in your draft
1. Send an original draft (max 1500 words). Check spelling, punctuation, grammar, and facts. Submissions sent with numerous errors are unprofessional and will not be considered for publication. Please do NOT embed photos in the document; simply indicate that photos are available upon request.
2. Submissions received without all accompanying info requested on the submission form will not be considered.
3. Photos / Photo essays. If you’re submitting a photo essay, please include a description of the essay, with sample captions, but do not include photos in your submission. Instead, prepare an online photo album and link to it in your draft.
4. Because of the high volume of submissions we receive, we can’t guarantee a response if we’ve decided your piece isn’t a good fit. Please don’t take it personally — and after a month or two, feel free to submit something else.
The overwhelming majority of Matador’s editorial team is homegrown. For those interested in editorial positions, the best way to get on our radar is to submit work above.
If you have skills and talents which you believe would add to our team beyond editorial, please view or current list of job openings.