This page outlines what potential Matador contributors and job seekers need to know.
Matador seeks original writing, photography, and video that speaks to the adventures, cultures, and identities of people around the world.
1. Familiarize yourself with what we like to publish by spending time on the site before submitting.
2. Avoid submitting on specific topics or story angles we’ve already published. Use the search function in the navbar above to review existing content.
3. Publishing rights – read our full Author’s Rights.
4. Payment – standard payment is $40, depending on article type and length. (Higher rates may be offered in special circumstances; please note this is determined on a case-by-case basis.) Payments are made via Paypal1 the first week of each month for all content published by the 21st of the previous month.
1. Send an original draft (max 1500 words). Check spelling, punctuation, grammar, and facts. Submissions sent with numerous errors are unprofessional and will not be considered for publication.
2. Please do NOT embed photos in your submission document; simply indicate that photos are available upon request. If submitting a photo essay or other image-based piece, provide a link to a Flickr gallery or other URL where the images are viewable.
3. Submissions received without all accompanying info requested on the submission form will not be considered.
4. Because of the high volume of submissions we receive, we can’t guarantee a response if we’ve decided your piece isn’t a good fit. Please don’t take it personally — and after a month or two, feel free to submit something else.
If you have skills and talents which you believe would add to our team beyond editorial, please view our current list of job openings.