1. The Author grants permission to include his/her stories, hereinafter referred to as the Work, at any of the websites within Matador Network, hereinafter referred to as the Publisher, as well as any future publications associated with Matador, which includes content syndication partners1.
2. This use of the Work by the Publisher entails the assignment of First North American Serial Rights2, for publication in the English language in North America. This allows the Publisher to publish the Work in both printed and digital versions of the magazine. ALL rights revert to the Author following publication.
3. The Author grants to the Publisher the right to archive the work in online versions of the magazine.
4. If and when the Work is republished in printed or digital form, the Author agrees to name “Matador” as First Publisher and provide a link to the original work.
5. For the rights granted to the Publisher above in (1-4), the Author will receive payment as agreed to and arranged by the Publisher and Author prior to publication.
Author’s Warranties and Indemnities
6. The Author represents and warrants that he/she is the sole author of the Work, that the Work is original, and that no one has reserved the rights granted in this agreement. The Author also represents, to the best of his/her knowledge, that the Work does not contain any libelous material.
No Competing Publication
7. The Author agrees not to publish or permit others to publish the Work in any form prior to its publication and appearance in the above-named magazine and no printed form for 90 days following publication.
8. The Publisher agrees to publish a proper copyright notice for the Work, and use its best efforts to protect the Author’s copyright in the United States, and in the International Copyright Union. The magazine is copyrighted to Matador Ventures, LLC, but the Author’s copyright remains with the Author.
1Matador maintains content syndication partnerships with a number of publications. Content syndication partners are required to attribute the syndicated content to the Author and Matador with links back to the original content. Authors do not receive additional compensation for syndication.
2FIRST NORTH AMERICAN SERIAL RIGHTS: When an author grants a journal or magazine First North American Serial Rights to a story, the periodical acquires the right to be the first publisher of the work in North America, and for some time after the work appears in print — typically 60 to 90 days, or the length of time the issue with the author’s work in it is “current” — no other journal is allowed to publish that same work. Afterward, an author, as holder of the copyright, is free to submit the work elsewhere.
Additional Rights and Usage information can be found in Matador’s Terms of Service.