WHOA, this week you have the least money in your bank account that you’ve ever had. You can literally only afford three things at the 99¢ Store. That trip you’d been thinking about is so far down the horizon, you can barely make it out. To top that off, your passport expired three months ago, you have a whopping credit card bill, and you need to pay a parking ticket. You are eternally trapped here, but through the power of The Internet you can make a fake escape.
Google Street View is like a momentary free vacation (if you go full screen). You can even explore regions that’d be inaccessible even if you did have some money (but aren’t a member of the 1%.) Street View recently added hard-to-reach destinations you can use to simulate hiking Everest, exploring Arctic territory, and adventuring through the radiation-laced streets of Fukushima.
- See those tuxedoed birds up close.
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
- The sea turtles are everywhere, and you can still breathe oxygen.
- Discover the post-nuclear-meltdown abandoned towns in northern Japan while avoiding radiation.
Grand Canyon, Arizona
- This Street View experience is a lot less intense than hiking to the bottom of the canyon IRL.
Mt. Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Stand above the clouds without having to adjust for altitude.
Park City Resort, Utah
Park City Resort
- Great choice if you want to see what the slopes look like, but have never learned to ski.
- Visit the sunny Mayan Ruins, without the sunburn.
Everest Base Camp
- Follow in the footsteps of mountaineering legends...without that pesky chance of dying.
Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Kennedy Space Center
- When you search for directions to space in Google Maps, it’ll send you through this point.
- Eat a popsicle while you’re here to emulate the temperature.
Mt. Elbrus, Russia
- Go on an epic hike in the Russian Caucasus, while still having your email open in another tab.
- Get an island vacation, for free!
Key West, Florida
- Drive down the highway through the Straits of Florida, without pants on!
Iwami Ginzan Silver Mine, Japan
- Travel into the dank depths of this mine, sans claustrophobia.
Puente Rio, Mexico
- Hang out on a random road in Mexico, that you probably wouldn’t have been able to find in the first place.
Prudhoe Bay, Alaska
- Drive to the top of Alaska, while sitting at a more reasonable latitude.
Dead Sea, West Bank
- As seen in the Bible.
The Amazon River
The Amazon River
- Cruise the Amazon, without the malaria pills.
- Enjoy the tropical beauty...but really wish you were actually there.