FACEBOOK IS IN THE PROCESS of buying up technologies for huge sums of money, and the latest asset they’ve acquired is the company behind the head-mounted Oculus Rift virtual reality system.
The Oculus Rift started as a Kickstarter campaign geared mostly towards gamers — which is what it’s going to be primarily used for. We here at Matador, though, think it shouldn’t stop there: Any number of real-world virtual experiences could be created using Oculus technology, including travel experiences.
Here are ten of the VR travel experiences we’d love to see with the Oculus Rift:
1. Standing at the Sun Gate, looking down on Machu Picchu
2. Floating along the canals of Venice
3. Flying up through the girders of the Eiffel Tower (no elevator lines!)
4. Soaring down over the edge of the Grand Canyon, eagle-style
5. Scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef
6. Hang gliding over Maui
7. Going into low Earth orbit with the International Space Station
8. Heli skiing the mountains of Alaska
9. Trekking in Nepal
10. Running with the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain
What travel experiences would you want to try through virtual reality technology?