1. Thou shall never draw attention to his accent (or lack thereof).
Yes, he grew up in Dallas. No, not everyone in Texas has the twang we’ve come to expect from Hollywood movies. But one thing’s for sure: if you keep making fun of his strong accent or the fact he doesn’t have one, you won’t be dating very long.
2. Thou shall quietly smile and nod at the ridiculous and racist things his parents say.
His relatives vote Republican, and probably have more outdated views than a 90-year-old on Long Island. Nevertheless, they are family, and you’ll come to appreciate the balancing act he has to perform when coming home for the holidays.
3. Thou shall never suggest eating BBQ outside of Texas.
California may have comparable (or better) Mexican food, but when it comes to the slow cooked smoky flavor that you can only get at a place like Cooper’s, Texas is the best. Don’t even think of saying otherwise, and especially don’t bring up North Carolina.
4. Thou shall not keep him inside all summer.
It’s tempting to wait out the Texas summer in the air conditioning snuggling (or more) under a blanket, but if you’re going to date a Texas boy, be prepared to put up with the heat. Revel in it. Accept the sweat. Float the river with him. Learn why we drink so much beer.
5. Thou shall learn everything about Texas.
Remember the Alamo. Clap after you hear “deep in the heart of Texas!” Know the difference between the Texan and Chilean flags. When did we become a state? You can’t expect to endear yourself to a Texas boy without some essential knowledge.
6. Thou shall give him Sundays for football.
And Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays… actually, just work your time together around football. Everyone else in the state does.
7. Thou shall accompany him to Two Step in full cowgirl regalia… at least once.
Not all boys from Texas embrace the cowboy stereotype, but if you can’t have a little fun with your lady while looking the part, what’s the point?
8. Thou shall take him out of the city and into the beautiful Texas country.
Texas is more than just DFW, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio. Because the stars at night… well, they’re big and bright down south. And romantic.
9. Thou shall not get jealous of other beautiful Texans.
Our state has some really attractive people, and they’re not new to the flirting game with their corny smiles and chivalry. Whether you’re interested in Texas boys or girls, there’s always going to be competition.
10. Thou shall not mess with Texas.
If you violate this most sacred of all the commandments, forget about a second date.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
80,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points