The fastest trains in the world have an undeniable appeal, but slow, old-fashioned locomotives pulling vintage rail cars can be just as attractive. Granted they won’t get you anywhere fast, but they will let you experience the charm of rail traveling like it was in the early 20th century. There are plenty of vintage train journeys available in the US, including some trips on steam trains, but few can beat the scenic beauty that the Conway Scenic Railroad in North Conway, New Hampshire, delivers.
- What is the route of the Conway Scenic Railroad?
- What train stations does the Conway Scenic Railroad stop at along the way?
- North Conway train ride tickets and prices
- What is the schedule of the North Conway train?
- What is the best scenic railroad ride in Conway?
- Does the Conway Scenic Railroad have a dinner experience?
- What is the dress code for the dinner train in New Hampshire?
- How old is the Conway Scenic Railroad?
- Hotels near the Conway Scenic Railroad
What is the route of the Conway Scenic Railroad?
The Conway Scenic Railroad operates from North Conway Station in the town of North Conway, New Hampshire (the red pin on the map above.) North Conway Station is the departure station of all the Conway Scenic Railroad regularly scheduled trips.
Depending on the train excursion, from North Conway Station, the train goes either south to Conway or northwest towards Fabyan’s Station, the terminus of this railway line.
What train stations does the Conway Scenic Railroad stop at along the way?
The train stops at different stations depending on the excursion. If the excursion takes the train to Conway from North Conway Station, the train does not stop anywhere along the way. If the excursion takes the train northwest, it may stop at the Whistle Stop platform at Attitash in the town of Bartlett, Crawford Notch Depot, or Fabyan’s Station. Fabyan’s Station is the terminus of the railway line.
North Conway train ride tickets and prices
The Conway Scenic Railroad offers a variety of excursions, all at different price points. At the time of writing, there are five excursions that you can book:
- Santa’s Holiday Express: 1.5-hour train ride to Conway, starting at $26
- Snow Train: 80-minute train ride to the Whistle Stop platform at Attitash, starting at $40
- Mountaineer: Four to 5.5-hour train ride to Fabyan’s Station, starting at $79
- Sawyer River Excursion: A two-plus hour train ride to Sawyer River, starting at $52
- Conway Valley Train: A 55-minute train ride to Conway, starting at $23
The price of excursions varies according to the class of service you opt for: Coach Class, First Class, or Premium Class Dome. Premium Class Dome allows passengers to sit in a glass-dome car from where the views are impressive.
You can book your excursion online on the official website or call their booking office at +16033565251.
What is the schedule of the North Conway train?
The schedule varies according to the excursions. At the time of writing, the schedule is as follows:
- Santa’s Holiday Express: Starts on Friday, November 24, 2023, and runs Saturdays and Sundays at 11 AM and 1 PM until December 23, 2023
- Snow Train: Runs eight times per day between December 26, 2023, and December 30, 2023
- Mountaineer: Thursday, November 2, 2023, at 11:30 AM, and six more times on select Tuesdays and Saturdays in November at 11:30 AM
- Sawyer River Excursion: Every day at 12:30 PM
- Conway Valley Train: Every day at 11 AM and 3 PM
What is the best scenic railroad ride in Conway?
Every train trip with the Conway Scenic Railroad is scenic, but the Mountaineer excursion, a four to 5.5-hour train ride to Fabyan’s Station, is the most beautiful of them all.
Does the Conway Scenic Railroad have a dinner experience?
At the time of writing, the Conway Scenic Railroad does not offer a dinner experience on board its train. However, you can experience dinner on the rails with the Café Lafayette Dinner Train in North Woodstock, New Hampshire. From May until October, the Café Lafayette Dinner Train offers two-hour train rides on board 1950s restored vintage rail cars during which passengers can enjoy a five-course meal. Reservation for 2024 will open online on January 1, 2024.
Other rail companies offering dinners on the rails in New England include the Cape Cod Central Railroad in Massachusetts and the Green Mountain Railroad in Vermont.
What is the dress code for the dinner train in New Hampshire?
Between the months of May and October, the Café Lafayette Dinner Train in North Woodstock, New Hampshire, offers a five-course meal during a two-hour train ride. The dress code to ride the Café Lafayette Dinner Train is business casual, i.e. slacks, button-down shirts, and blazers, but no jeans, sneakers, or tank tops.
How old is the Conway Scenic Railroad?
The Conway Scenic Railroad started operating in 1974, nearly 50 years ago. North Conway Station, where the headquarters of the Conway Scenic Railroad is located, dates back to 1874.
Hotels near the Conway Scenic Railroad
We hope you love the hotels we recommend! Just so you know, Matador may collect a small commission from the links on this page if you decide to book a stay.
These hotels in North Conway will allow you to stay near the North Conway Station and easily catch the train for the ride of a lifetime.