- YOU EAT BBQ WITHOUT the sauce. The quality of our beef doesn’t need to be covered up.
- You say Don’t Mess with Texas as a threat. Seriously. Don’t do it. The last guy who did was responsible for Texas becoming a republic.
- You don’t balk at a four-hour drive. It used to take you that long to drive across 3-5 states in the northeast. In Texas, it’s a weekend commute.
- You complain about other non-Texans moving in…even if you’re one of them.
- You find it perfectly acceptable to have tacos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- You throw on your winter coat once the temperature dips below 50.
- You stockpile your booze, or at least buy it on Saturday if you’re watching football on Sunday.
- You can’t forget the owner of the Texas Rangers was once President of the United States.
- You can correctly pronounce Nueces, Guadalupe, Manchaca, and Schlitterbahn.
- You’ve greeted someone with a friendly “howdy!” — without being ironic.
- You keep a pair of cowboy boots in your closet… just in case.
- You take your car up to 100 mph on any interstate, knowing exactly where the speed traps are.
- You always stop in West for kolaches.
- Someone within 100 feet of you probably speaks Spanish.
- You travel for eight hours to see family for the holidays… and never leave Texas.
- Even though LBJ is remarkably better now, you still like to complain about the traffic.
- You’ve forgotten what mountains look like.
- You instinctively clap after someone says “the stars at night, are big and bright…”
- You know all six flags over Texas, and why we have them.
- Southern hospitality feels like stepping into a warm bath rather than an embarrassment. Bless your heart.
What did you think of this story?
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points