Previous Next

Photo: Fantaz

In no way are educators limited to teaching English while abroad.

WHILE I WORKED WITH local NGOs and universities in Pakistan, my husband Duarte took a two-year contract as a Physics teacher in an international high school. By connecting with other foreign teachers in the school, we quickly learned that making a career out of international teaching would be an ideal way for us to sustain long-term travel and life abroad.

International vs. National Schools

There are scores of schools that claim to be “international” in name, but what teachers often call a “true international school” is a school that enrolls students from a variety of countries. These schools tend to be located in major cities, diplomatic capitals and international financial centers. Students include ambassadors’ kids, expat kids, teachers’ kids and local children whose parents can foot the bill.

Other schools may be internationally accredited but enroll primarily local students. Teachers refer to this type of school as a “national” school, although both types hire foreign teachers. Some national schools hire only foreign-qualified staff; others hire most teachers locally but employ foreigners for certain subjects like English. The ratio of foreign to local faculty at schools can vary widely even within the same country or city.

School Curriculum

When Duarte and I first moved abroad, we had no idea what O-Levels and A-Levels were. Since he was teaching in a school that offered both the British system and the American system, he had to learn how to teach two different curricula.

International schools usually belong to one of the following systems: British (IGCSE/GCSE), American (often offering AP classes), or International Baccalaureate (IB).

Teacher Qualifications

There are schools that will hire teachers without formal qualifications, but to be a competitive candidate you need at least two of the following: a Bachelor’s degree, a valid teaching license in the subject you plan to teach, and two years experience.

In the U.S., each state has its own process for teacher licensing. Many undergraduate education programs provide routes to state certification, but you can also find post-baccalaureate programs aimed at career changers.

The majority of these programs require a one-semester student teaching practicum, a series of education courses based on classroom observation, and a set of exams.

Massachusetts is one state that offers a five-year preliminary license without requiring student teaching or the completion of special course work. You can apply for this license by passing two exams: MTEL communication & literacy and MTEL content area. For either elementary or secondary teachers it costs about $230 for the exams and $100 for a one-subject license. Your license is valid for five years of employment in Massachusetts, so if you never teach in Massachusetts it can remain valid for your entire international teaching career.

Job Searching

Most schools offer two-year renewable contracts, although some offer one-year contracts or require a three-year commitment from new hires. Prime hiring season is from January through April, although hiring is done all the way through August for the upcoming school year.

A lot of hiring is done at international job fairs organized by school placement organizations. At job fairs, dozens of school administrators and hundreds of teacher candidates converge in a major city for the purpose of lining up jobs.

The biggest job fairs are run by Search Associates, International Schools Services (ISS) and University of Northern Iowa (UNI). To attend a Search or ISS fair you need to apply and become a member.

Before the fair, candidates are given a list of schools that will be represented and current job openings. Larger companies like Search and ISS have online databases with detailed information about each school and salary package. The best way to prepare is to research every school, city and country that you might be interested in.

Once at the fair you will sign up for interviews with different school administrators. Between interviews you can go to school information sessions or network with other teachers.

Factors to Consider

Attending a job fair can be expensive, especially if you need to factor in travel and hotel costs. It is worth contacting schools ahead of fair season, in November and December, to see if you can interview via Skype.

Not all schools, even those listed by placement companies, are legit. Before applying for a teaching position, read what other teachers have said about it on International Schools Review (ISR). It costs $29 per year to be a member of ISR, but this will put you in direct contact with other international teachers and expat parents. Reviews posted on schools and directors are anonymous, so be aware that some feedback may simply be venting by teachers or propaganda by school administrators.

When you compare salary packages, compare the cost of living and the local tax rate as well. Annual salaries range from about $15,000 through $70,000, but you can live much better on $20,000 in India than you can on $40,000 in Switzerland.

European schools tend not to offer housing or utilities as part of the salary package, although many other schools around the world do. Benefits to look for include round-trip airfare, medical insurance, life insurance, free tuition for school-age children, daycare for younger children, moving allowance, professional development training, transportation allowance and retirement funds.

Final Tips

Look at the number of contract days and the number of teacher-pupil contact days required per year before applying. An average number of contract days is 180-190; this is the number of days per year teachers are expected to work. An average number of contact days is 170-180; this is the number of days you will be expected to teach. A few days more or less aren’t anything to raise concern, but I was once looking at a job in a new international school that required 250 contact days. Yeah, no thanks. I’d like to keep my summer vacations and my sanity. A side note said that teachers would be required to arrive early in order to create the school curriculum from scratch.

The teaching culture of a given school can vary markedly. Some schools are isolated; some are set in urban centers. Some cater to a young-single crowd of teachers while others prefer hiring couples or pensioners.

For Duarte and I, international teaching is a combination of career flexibility and stability. Once a contract is completed, we can choose to stay or move on to another destination. Currently we’re back in the U.S. pursuing further education, but we’re psyched to find out what opportunities the next international job fair will bring about!

About The Author

Heather Carreiro

Heather is a secondary English teacher, travel writer and editor who has lived in Morocco and Pakistan. She enjoys jamming on the bass, haggling over saris in dusty markets and cross-country jumping on horseback. Currently she's a grad student attempting to wrap her tongue around Middle English, analyze South Asian literature and eat enough to make her Portuguese mother-in-law happy. Learn more on her blog at

  • Anne M

    Invaluable information! Thanks for that!

  • Julie

    Heather- It’s great to see so many options besides language teaching. Thanks for this comprehensive article.

  • Kate

    Great information. Thanks for writing this! It’s nice to find out I’m more qualified than I thought.

  • Sej

    Great information, Heather! Thanks for sharing. Although a lot of places that I inquired at for the certification programs said that most countries usually don’t want English teachers with an Indian passport, even if they’re living somewhere else.

    • Heather Carreiro

      Sej, in many schools there is a preference for North American teachers, although it depends on the administration and the country’s visa regulations. There are many Indian teachers working in Dubai and the Gulf area. If you can get a teaching certification from the US, UK, Canada or Australia it will greatly enhance your chances. There are also a number of international schools within India that hire local teachers in addition to foreign teachers.

  • Rebecca

    nice article Heather. I hadn’t even considered interviewing via skype before so thanks for the tip!

  • Jessica Skelton

    Teaching abroad is a great way to see the world and still sustain yourself financially. Especially given the current state of the job market, this is an amazing opportunity for recent college grads who might otherwise be stuck in their hometowns waiting tables for minimum wage. I know a lot of people who have taught abroad (many who have yet to return to the states!) who count this as the single most influential and wonderful experience of their young lives. Thanks for shedding light on such a great topic.

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hey Jessica! The international teaching circuit can be hard to break into for college grads without teaching certification or experience, although one job fair that favors newly qualified teachers (without experience) is the UNI fair. Search and ISS fairs will be tougher for those without both a valid certification AND at least two years of experience. Married teaching couples (where both spouses teach) tend to be the most competitive candidates. For college grads without teaching license or experience, teaching English at a language school or doing something like the JET program would be a more viable option.

  • R. Layne Holley

    Your article is the best I’ve seen–a very practical, efficient presentation.

    I’ve been an attorney, mostly in litigation, for the past 28 years. I also have a M.A in political science. It’s time to move on now to develop new and different challenges. What are your observations about my pursuit of teaching given my background. I’m fearful that it may be perceived negatively.

    Many thanks.


    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Layne,

      Your background would work well with Political Science, History or even English. In order to get some background on teaching methods and strategies, you may want to consider going for a second master’s degree in education or an MAT in the subject you want to teach. I actually had a classmate (in my MA English program) who was a former attorney that made the leap to teaching. She didn’t seem to face any problems, although she said almost everyone found her career background something to remember!

      What matters most is your ability to teach and your teaching experience. Like anyone starting an international teaching career, you will likely have to be more flexible when looking for contracts in the first few years. The most competitive candidates are single teachers with no dependents and married teaching couples.

      Hope this helps!

  • Tessa

    Is there a recruiting agency that specializes in assisting candidates find teaching opportunities overseas? I have 3 degrees: BA in English, M.Ed., and MBA. I am not licensed; however, I have been teaching GED in the local public school systems for adults, youth, and ESL students for 6 years now. Virginia does not require a license to teach this. Also, I have taught a business class in a public high school for 2 years. Along with this experience, I am contracted with a local university to teach a basic computer class to adults. I submitted my CV and believe I am well qualified. However, I have received a rejection letter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hey Tessa,

      Search Associates would be an option for you if you want to work with a recruiting agency, although what you get with membership is access to databases and job fairs. Neither Search nor ISS do the groundwork for you as far as applying to schools or researching them. They simply make the information available to you. There are a lot of specific tips on the Search website as well as on International Schools Review.

      That said, getting a license would definitely make you a more competitive candidate for international school jobs.


  • twen

    Thanks for the very valuable info! I have always wanted to teach internationally, have certificaction, master’s, and 20+ years of experience. However, I’m more interested in a summer opportunity than an academic year (any time between late May and late August). Do you know of websites or agencies that have summer positions?

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Twen,

      I don’t know any recruitment organizations that specialize in summer opportunities, although you look into summer study abroad programs (like Semester at Sea) that don’t use their own faculty and teach the level/subject that you have experience in, that would probably be a good place to start.

  • Pingback: Three Job Fairs, Three Jobs: An International Teacher Hiring Saga

  • Mario Arana

    Great tips Heather. I’d like to add that attending a job fair is not required. I have found teaching positions in Bolivia, Egypt and, starting this Fall, Romania, without attending a single job fair. The International Educator website, for 40 dollars a year, compiles openings from hundreds of schools worldwide. I contact them directly in early January and interview via phone or Skype. I have a created a Professional Portfolio website and a package that includes degrees, certification, diplomas and even videos to apply. This approach is time consuming preparing my credential, researching and following up. Finally, many international schools require a personal interview to offer a contract, but for those starting their international teaching career or those without the budget to attend a job fair, it is a strategy to consider. Best of all luck to all in their search! Mario

    • Heather Carreiro

      Thanks for adding to the conversation Maria! My first international school job was without attending a job fair as well. It seems like a lot of schools are switching to using databases like TIE (or Search or ISS) paired with Skype interviews.

  • Rachael

    Just curious, were international employees concerned with what you did during college (GPA, extra-curriculars, internships) or more concerned with teaching degrees? Would you need to send a transcript to an international school or would they check your state for your certificate?

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hey Rachael,

      Different schools have different requirements (and different countries have different visa restrictions). For some job applications I was requested to scan copies of my transcripts, degree and teaching license and upload them to a database or send them by email. Before I had my teaching license, I could not get interviews with several schools I was interested in. It really depends on what the administrators are looking for. A high GPA, lots of extra-curricular involvement, part-time jobs that involve working with students would all be a plus, but I don’t think they are as important as teaching experience.

  • ruth

    Hi Heather,
    What a great summary! Thank you!
    I had some questions I hope you might be able to answer. I am considering teaching & unlike most of the people here i do not have multiple degrees or experience..(i worked for 7 years in fashion and a BS in mass communications.) i was thinking about doing a program that starts next month and ends at the end of October. The program is here in the US and is 140 hours (10 of that teaching). I currently am unemployed, single- I would like to move asap. i think i would be more interested in teaching adults..

    1. Is it a better idea for me to be certified in the US or is another country better?
    It seems if you were there it might be easier- as in they could quickly connect you? thoughts?

    2. I know that there are big recruiting times but I am wondering about availibliy during the time of year when I would be out of a program? Are there more opportunities for language schools? I really don’t want to wait for job fair in Feb for a job in September of next year.

    3. In terms of experience I was thinking that the quickest thing I might be able to do is substitute teach in the US from August thru October/Nov/Dec..would that even be helpful or matter at all?

    4.I checked out the job fair and that Jet program- (are there any other sites/programs for the in experienced) I am not particularly keen about Japan..
    i have been looking at Daves ESL Cafe..

    5. My last question is regarding the chart of the most popular cities on this website (for teaching) the list was from 2008. I am wondering if due to my lack of experience that i will be limited to Asia?

    Thank you!!!

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Ruth! Glad the article was helpful. I’m not exactly sure what your 140 hour program will entail (is it an Education program?) so I may not be able to answer all your questions, but hopefully this will help.

      1) If you live in the US, it will probably be easier for you get your teaching certification in the US, although this depends whether you want a teaching license (which holds more weight and is granted by the state you complete your requirements in) or a basic TEFL certification (which doesn’t hold much weight in international schools but is good for language schools). If you want a teaching license/certificate rather than just a TEFL certificate, you’re better off getting it in the US, Canada, UK, Australia or South Africa as these certifications tend to be accepted all over the world.

      2) For international schools, it would be difficult to find a job outside of regular academic calendars (ie starting in Aug/September or possibly in January) unless a school has an emergency situation like a teacher getting injured or walking out on the job. I tend to avoid schools that are still trying to find teachers in October because it means other teachers aren’t lining up to work there, and it’s probably for good reason. If you want language schools or to teach ESL with an international business, schedules can be more flexible.

      3) For international schools (especially the competitive ones) subbing won’t hold as much weight as full-time teaching because there are so many things that a substitute (unless you get a long-term sub job for someone’s maternity leave) doesn’t do: lesson planning, working with curriculum, dealing with parents, contributing to after-school activities, etc. Also, if you want to teach ESL, subbing doesn’t really relate unless you’re subbing in an ESL classroom where you’re actually teaching and interacting with the students (not just watching over them), so I don’t think it would be that helpful.

      4) Dave’s ESL Cafe is a good place to start for ESL jobs. You can also check out I’m pretty sure the JET deadline has already passed for next year’s program.

      5) ESL teachers and international school teachers (although it looks like you’re going more for the ESL route) can find jobs all over the world, although there are lots of opportunities for less experienced teachers in Asia. It would be hard to get a good ESL job in the Middle East without experience. It all really depends on what job leads you find that fit with your schedule. You can check out Matador’s Teaching ESL Focus Page to learn more!

  • Baicon D. Hadji Basher

    Hi Heather,
    Greetings of peace! I am a job seeker for English teaching in any primary school abroad particularly in ASIA…I am a BEED- English graduate with some units in MAED- Reading, Mindanao State University (main campus), Marawi City, Philippines. I am also a PRC Licensed teacher with 7 years teaching experience in different private schools in our place.
    I just hope your one of those who could help me find a job that fits to my quaifications…. dreaming to be one of those successful international teachers working with… in good faith/fate.
    Thank you and more power!

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Baicon,

      I’m currently in the US for grad school and not job searching myself, so I don’t have any leads to give you. This is really the tail end of the hiring season if you wanted to start a new job in August (most hiring is done Jan through May, the more competitive positions go earlier), but you may be able to find something if you apply to Search or ISS and access school information through the databases. You can also try the TIE database. I’m pretty sure almost all the big hiring fairs are done with for this season, so you should try searching for schools in specific locations and contacting the administrators directly to see if they are still hiring.

  • Pingback: Reflections of an ESL Teacher: My Teaching A-Ha! Moment

  • Sarah

    Good Morning!

    Thank you for writing this article, it was very informative. Currently, I am trying to make a transition into teaching. I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past couple of years and now it is time for me to enter back into the workforce. Teaching is my passion and I am excited to pursue this next chapter of my life. I have my degree, but I do not have my teaching license. So, hopefully I can start that soon. My parents retired in Costa Rica and I am hoping to find a job there. Without experience, is that a long shot? Also, do you know which state is the quickest to obtain a license ? I know you mentioned Massachusetts, but it is a five-year preliminary license. I have the next few months to take classes, but it would be difficult for me to do an unpaid internship (in Texas it is 14 weeks), especially because I have two small children I need to support.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and I hope you have a GREAT day!

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Sarah! The quickest I know of is Massachusetts. I don’t know any other state where you can get any kind of license without doing a full semester of student teaching. With the MA preliminary license, it will never expire if you don’t teach for 5 years in Massachusetts. I discussed the license options with my associate from Search Associates and he said he didn’t think international school administrators would see much difference between a preliminary and an initial, as long as I had a valid license for the age/subject I wanted to teach.

      The best fair for less experienced teachers to attend is probably the UNI fair, which you can read more about here: Three Job Fairs, Three Jobs: An International Teacher Hiring Saga. I believe some schools from Costa Rica send reps to UNI, but it’s best to find the schools you are interested in (via Google or joining Search Associates, although you’ll need a license or 2 years experience to join) and then contact them directly. Hiring season starts in mid December for the following academic year.

  • Jen

    Hi Heather!
    This article has been most helpful, thanks!
    So here is the situation, my boyfriend and I are looking at taking on this adventure together. He is an English and Social Studies teacher currently here in CO and he is working with ISS right now in the app process. I do not have teaching experience though I am working on my masters in school counseling but we wanted to leave before I would be finished with this program. Do you have any recommendations of a company that he could work at an International or IB school and i would have the opportunity to find a paid position as well? ISS can’t seem to help us with me finding a position even teaching at a language school. We are hoping to take off next summer for a next school year start. Any info or advice would be awesome! thanks

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Jen,
      ISS only places in international schools (honestly they just provide the platform for candidates to meet with administrators), and with most schools looking for counselors you would probably need to have completed your degree and certification. I know school counseling requirements differ by state, is there any way for you to get your licensure without completing the degree? A license is often what you need to get visas and decent paying jobs.

      I’d suggest waiting until you know where your boyfriend will be teaching and then trying to figure out what you can do while in country. Once you have a one country focus, it will be easier to look for ESL jobs (although you will want to have at least a TEFL certificate to be competitive unless you’re going somewhere that competition is very slim) that can provide a work visa for you. If you can’t find anything before going, wait til you get in country to look for tutoring positions with local schoolchildren.

      I’m not sure how long you have left for your degree, but I would suggest waiting to go overseas until you have it. That way you can apply through Search or ISS and get a full-time position with benefits as a school counselor.

      Hope this helps,


  • bruce jones

    For those who wish to teach abroad, the largest market is teaching English as a Foreign Lanaguge. There are appoximately 100,000 new positions available each year (apposed to the relatively small amount of International school positions). A great TEFL TESOL training school is International TEFL Academy .

    • Heather Carreiro

      Thanks for stopping by Bruce. In my experience though, I’d say the jobs with full benefits are more likely to be found in international schools than in language schools. TESOL/TEFL positions that include things like health care, retirement benefits, round trip airfare, shipping allowances, free education for teachers’ children, etc. are few and generally require higher levels of education and training, usually at least an MA in TESOL or an equivalent degree.

  • keyur

    Hi.. this is a very nice article and the comments were also helpful. I need your help…
    Currently we stay in Philippines, my wife used to be a math teacher in India, we are looking for int teaching license, but most of the sites only have the language certification, my wife did her msc in math and was teaching for 3 years. Can you pls email me so details on getting international teaching certification in philippines or india. Tahnks

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Keyur,

      As far as I know there is no ‘international teaching certification’ in any country; each country has its own certifications and licensing procedures if it has a procedure at all. You should contact the education department of the country where you are living/have residence to see what the in-country certifications options are. Alternatively you can look into getting certified in Australia, the US, UK Canada or South Africa.



  • Pingback: 20 Awesome Expat Blogs

  • Jaime

    Hi Heather,

    Let me first say thank you for being so nice and approachable. You are so helpful to everybody, I hope you can help me, too!

    I have a B.A., and one year of experience teaching English in Korea. I am wondering about the MTEL. Is it true that I can just take the MTEL, and then if I pass, I will have a teacher’s license? It seems deceivingly easy. Also, if I take the MTEL, and then go to a job fair, will I be able to get interviews?

    Do you know which specific tests I could take to help my chances? For example. should I take a math licensure test, even though I am mainly interested in teaching literature?

    Thanks for any advice!

    - Jaime

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Jaime,

      Yes, if you have a BA, you can take the MTELs (3 separate tests, reading, writing and your subject area) and get a 5-year preliminary license. It takes more than a month for the scores to come in, and then it can take up to 6 months to apply for and receive the license. I think you’d have a better chance of getting more interviews once you can at least prove your passing scores (which should guarantee the license), but if you’ve just taken the exams (and not yet received confirmation of passing) recruiters are not likely to count that as being certified.

      You’ll need to get certified in whatever subject/grade level you actually want to teach. If you want to teach secondary English, then you’ll need a license in secondary English. Many international teachers have more than one certification.

      As for getting interviews, it really depends what fair you go to and what schools you’re looking at. The earlier the fair, the more competitive it usually is. I’d suggest trying the UNI fair or one of the later Search or ISS fairs. Keep in mind that if you want to join Search or ISS, the application process can take a few months, so you’ll want to get everything together well in advance of the fair you’d like to attend.

      Of course you can also just sign up for Search or ISS and use the databases to arrange interviews via Skype.

      Another note, you say you were teaching English in Korea – ESL or subject area English? For international schools, teaching ESL usually doesn’t ‘count’ as experience unless it is in an international school setting where you were a full-time teacher.

      All the best,


  • Pingback: International School Hiring Season in Full Swing: Recruiting Fair Schedule for 2011

  • Malick

    Hi heather,
    Thank you for a great article and hope you have time to give me your feedback on this. So here is my story: native of Senegal, living in the US with a green card, teaching french in a private high school in MD, have a MA in French from a US college and was going for a PhD (completed all course work but decided to not finish the dissertation and become a high school teacher). I love the job I have now but contemplating the idea of teaching overseas(maybe both French and English) in the next 2-3 years. I am single and don’t have a geographical preference.
    1. would the fact that i am not a US citizen be an obstacle?
    2. would you recommend getting licensed even though I have a MA degree and lots of experience?
    3. Is the idea of teaching English realistic since I am not a native speaker?
    4. any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Happy holidays!

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Malick,

      Your flexibility, background and experience should definitely work for you should you decide to look for international jobs.

      1. Not being a US citizen may hinder you in some countries due to visa regulations.
      2. I’d still suggest getting certification, dual certification in French and English if you can, since it will give you more options. If you want to teach English primarily, then an MA in French wouldn’t necessarily help with the job search. I’m not sure what you need to get certified in MD, but if it requires a teaching practicum you may be able to complete it at your place of employment. Otherwise, come up to Massachusetts for a weekend, take your MTELS for a few hundred bucks, and within 6 months or so you should have your MA state preliminary certification. Some countries’ visa restrictions also only allowed certified/licensed teachers to be hired legally, so investing in the cert. will open more doors as far as possible job opps.
      3. School admins tend to prefer native speakers of English. If your experience and post-graduate work is in French (and since you’re a native speaker), then you would be a highly qualified candidate for a French position. If you want to teach English, but don’t have the experience/degrees in English, you’ll be a much less competitive candidate.

      Hope that helps! Enjoy the holidays.


  • Pingback: Avoid Scams and Protect Yourself While Teaching Internationally

  • Josh

    Hey Heather,

    I’m currently finishing up a master’s in TESOL (I have a certificate as well). I know most of the international schools are taught in English but do they also hire teachers to teach ENL or TESOL for the “international” students? Basically I don’t want to be stuck in just a language school and I have no desire to get another degree (this is it for me). A friend of mine said an English degree is an English degree and that experience is more important (certifcation as well).

    Also on the SEARCH website I noticed they also help interns (with little teaching experience) get teaching jobs in international schools. Is this true or is this relatively rare?

    Thanks for your time and advice.

    Best regards,


  • kavya

    hi heather,
    nice and discreetly written.:) i want to be an IB teacher.i am presently studying my 12th in India.which country:US or India is better for me to pursue my bachelors degree considering all the factors such as cost of living,study environment and future opportunities.
    your help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

    • Heather Carreiro

      Hi Kavya,

      I’m not well-informed about education programs in India, but in the US the cheapest way to get a teaching degree is to attend a community college for two years and then transfer to a state college or university to finish the degree. You will need to enroll in a professional education program that leads to teacher licensure. IB is not common the United States; it’s more common in Europe, so you are not likely to get specific IB training in a US university unless you do your student teaching at an IB school.

  • Nate

    One question. I was looking over the MTEL website and noticed there happens to be 4 different types of teacher certification, the Communication and Literacy Skills test, the Academic (PreK–12) subject matter tests, Vocational Technical Literacy Skills Test, and Adult Basic Education test. Will all of these certifications work, as some are easier to get that others, or typically do the institutions abroad prefer a specific kind? For example if one was certified in Adult Basic Education, would that limit you to only this kind of teaching abroad, or does just having a certificate matter?

  • Paragdhoble

    Hi Heather,

    Thank you for the articulate yet comprehensive information. 

    Need your expert and prudent advice on the following: 

    i am currently working in Mumbai, India as Product Manager, with a leading insurance organization. Earlier, i have pursued an MBA and Bachelor’s degree in Commerce.
    However, my true passion is ‘travel’.. In order to pursue my passion for travel, i am exploring various avenues  that could help me realize my travel pursuits. At the same time would enable me to save a reasonable amount of money.

    As i learn from various sources, that being an Indian citizen, places sever restrictions on working in some countries.

    In view of the above seek your help in exploring various avenues that would be best suited for me.

    Thanks once again :)

    Best regards
    Parag Dhoble

  • Chuck Koehler

    I want to teach math overseas and I am a full-time math tutor in Houston ISD right now. I have a 4-yr engineering degree. So, my best chances of getting a math teaching job overseas is to get 2+ years of teaching experience in math and pass the MTELS and get the preliminary teaching license in MA while I am getting my experience as a tutor.


  • Sara

    Hi Heather,
    Just wondering where and when you would suggest a teaching couple (both with B.Ed and overseas ESL experience) with two kids start looking?  Thanks

  • AJ

    Just a little encouragement for those without much experience:  I attended the Cambridge fair through Search Associates as a new grad with a B.Ed. in elementary education and almost no experience.  I applied as both a teaching candidate and an intern candidate.  I had 7 job offers.  5 were for full time regular teaching positions and two were internships.  That being said, I was completely open with location and very prepared.  Getting a job without two years teaching experience is definitely possible, just don’t expect to get an offer to a prestigious European school.

  • Jack

    Was wondering if you could elaborate on what you mean about having the Mass. MTEL license good for your entire international career if you never teach in MA? Not sure I understood that.

  • Pak Liam

    A great article, thank-you. 

  • Chukwu Elvis

    Hi Heather! Thanks for the great article. I’m a fresh graduate of Ind. Maths(B.Sc) with so much flare for the teaching proffesion but do not have an educational qualification. 1 have one year teaching experience in mathematics and is currently doing my National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in a school at Lagos State, Nigeria. My greatest goal is; come June 2013, when I shall be through with my NYSC, to become an international teacher. Please, your candid advice on how to achieve this considering my location and qualification so far will b highly appriciated.

  • Kang SeungJin

    My dream is to start building up my personal career as an IB teacher right after I graduate from university. Thanks a lot, because those invaluable information on your article markedly have guided me to the things that I have to achieve in order to turn myself into an IB teacher. Although it has only been 2 months since I got back into Korea and applied myself to an ordinary local Korean highschool in Seoul, still, I sincerely wish to have an international life abroad and teach students from various countries worldwide. :)

  • Kang SeungJin

    But here is my question: If, by any chance, I apply myself and get admitted to a Korean university, does that hinder me from obtaining an IB teacher certificate? Is it true that I HAVE to attend classes in an American university no matter what if I want to become an IB teacher?

  • Tania Banerjee

    Hi Heather, I am an IB teacher in India and want to move to the US. Could you provide some guidelines on how to make my dream possible. Do IB schools in US process VISA applications for teachers? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  • Siti Hamidah

    heater.. nice share

  • Gitane Reveilleau

    Hello, Heather. Thank you for the information! I’m writing to see if you can help me: I am Brazilian and currently teach in Thailand, at an accredited international school. I’m certified to teach LA/LIT and ESL, though I hold a national certification (B.A./Licentiate). My husband and I have been looking to move on (he’s American and has a credential from the state of Michigan), but many openings require a North American certification, which I’d like to obtain. I have not yet applied for the Green Card, since we have never lived in the US and do not intend to do so for the time being. Therefore, how should I proceed? To be eligible for the Massachusetts certification, or any one, do I need to be a citizen? I can’t find that info on their website, but maybe you’ve heard about it. Thank you for your time!

  • Heri Miarto

    nice info

  • Serina Iris Hernandez

    Do international schools hire social studies teachers from the U.S. I am looking into getting my teaching cert with a subject concentration in social studies, would I be appealing to international schools? My school also offers the MA with the teaching cert. but I am weary of spending the money on a Masters if it isn’t necessary. Based on the international job market, what would you recommend? Your incite would be appreciated! Thanks.

  • Pallavi Singla

    Hey can anyone guide me what all other qualifications do i need to teach Spanish/ English abroad. I have done my bachelors in commerce + i have learnt Spanish from an embassy institute. Currently doing a Spanish teaching course in the institute only. Please advise me what all other qualifications and experience do i need to become an international teacher.

As an au pair in Amsterdam, I’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly.
Being a paid pilot is not always as romantic as the movies portray.
A summer to kill, a hankering for adventure, and wouldn't mind saving some pristine...
You aren’t held to the same social standards of a regular boss, and occasionally you...
Aside from the romance, what can you really expect from this career? Find out here.
Here’s how you can score a job that’s more like camping with friends than actual work.
How teaching English language courses in the U.S. broadens cultural perspective, changes...
From creative vocabulary lessons in China to sex-education in Paraguay
Upload your videos, scour the job board and get paid on
I saved about $3,000 in two months of waitressing at Canyon.
We've been brainstorming jobs and careers that work well with travel writing.
Staring at the chips, I think what I'll do with my winnings in Ketchikan, the final port.