As consumers become more interested in the need to protect our environment, corporations recognize this and are taking advantage of our desire to make environmentally friendly changes.
What some corporations are doing is greenwashing – A practice where companies create an environmentally friendly image to the public to boost sales.
At the same time, they downplay or ignore harmful corporate policies and the hidden dangers in their products.
The following list highlights some of what I find most offensive.
Help spread the word!
Clorox Green Works
In January 2008, Clorox launched a new line of cleaning products called Green Works. They claim their line is “at least 99 percent natural”. What’s in the other 1 percent?
One answer: Kathon, a petroleum-derived preservative used in Clorox’s Green Works product line. They also use the unregulated term “natural” to define their product rather than having a legitimate third-party certification.