LOCALS HAVE KNOWN THIS FOR GENERATIONS, but the secret is starting to get out: There’s so much more to Wisconsin than cheese. Bordered by Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan and the waters of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, Wisconsin is known for its diverse topography within the Great Lakes region. Mountain peaks, lakes, rivers and rapids, forests and hot springs, waterfalls and sandy plains — the landscape of for being outdoors. Here’s a few more reasons why Wisconsin is worth a visit.
1. You can enjoy the countryside of the Wisconsin Great River Road.
2. You can explore the Apostle Island ice caves at Lake Superior, Cornucopia.
3. And you can respect their stunning beauty in person.
4. You can wake up to mornings like this in Milwaukee.
5. Or to a sunrise over Willow River State Park, Hudson.
6. And of course, there’s always Port Washington.
7. Enjoy some of the Great Lakes region’s unique architecture. Strole through the grandeur and opulence of The Basilica of St. Josaphat, Lincoln Village, Milwaukee.
8. You could end your day with a little fishing on Wapogasset Lake in Polk County.
9. Fall hues of Clear Lake in Polk County ain’t so bad.
10. In fact, fall is stunning throughout the state.
11. Visit the rocky coastlines, such as that of Door County.
12. Enjoy a spot of evening swimming in Madison.
13. Stroll down pontoons of Wisconsin’s various marinas such as Racine Harbor.
Featured image: TheMichaelMcKenzie