I’VE LIVED ALL OVER the country, but I was born and raised in Kentucky. I’ve been to every part of it and, while there’s definitely some variety among the different regions, for the most part it’s full of kind and caring people who work hard and appreciate quality time with family and friends.
Here are 17 signs you were born and raised in the Bluegrass State.
1. You’ve tried to hold your breath while driving through the Cumberland Gap Tunnel.
2. You’ve fished every lake from Lake Cumberland to Lake Barkley to Laurel Lake.
3. You’ve driven past the Florence Y’all water tower on multiple occasions.
4. You tell people what county you’re from instead of the city or town.
5. You know that a Southern accent doesn’t automatically deduct IQ points.
6. You know Ale-8 is good in the can, but if you want to do it right, you have to drink it in a glass bottle.
7. If Ale-8 wasn’t your thing, then you may have drunk Ski.
8. You’re used to people asking if you watch Justified when you tell them you’re from Kentucky.
9. You fish with “minners” instead of minnows.
10. When you buy Grippos, you know to open the bag from the bottom so all the BBQ powder gets on top of the chips.
11. You know who Travis Ford, Doug Pelfrey, and Cameron Mills are, and you probably have one of their jerseys somewhere in your house.
12. You know there are two types of tea: sweet tea, and tea that hasn’t been sweetened yet.
13. If you’re from Eastern Kentucky, you know the worst road ever to drive on is US-119.
14. You still hate Duke, and you may still have one of the shirts that says DUKE on it but has the D and the E crossed out so it says UK.
15. You say hello to people on the street even if you don’t know them. It’s just a nice thing to do.
16. You know the grass isn’t actually blue.
17. You probably related to some of these but may have no clue about the others, because each part of the state has such a different feel and culture.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
100,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points