Whether you call it America’s Dairyland, the Badger State, or Wisco, the accent, food, and activities create a culture unique to Wisconsin that keeps a hold on us. When we do go back home for a family reunion, a friend’s wedding, or just a visit, we know we’re back home in Wisconsin with these 14 signs.
1. You stop at the nearest Culver’s immediately upon exiting the airport.
The bright blue of the awning, booths, and spoons are a sure sign of Culver’s deliciousness. You order a ButterBurger, a root beer, the flavor-of-the-day dessert, and swap your fries for cheese curds.
2. Your bag is pronounced bay-g.
Elongated vowels and a touch of nasal signals that you’re back home.
3. The mosquitoes are huge.
If it’s spring, summer, or early fall, you better have some spray on hand — and some hydrocortisone.
4. Sportswear is everywhere.
Whether it’s Badger red or Packers green and gold, T-shirts, hats, and sweatshirts emblazoned with our favorite team’s logo are always trending, even in the off-season.
5. You’ll hear “How ’bout them Packers?” everywhere you go.
It also comes in handy if you need to change the conversation topic or you bump into an ex in the market.
6. You can call them “bubblers,” “tennis shoes,” and “stop ‘n go lights.”
No need to explain yourself here. Embrace the unique vocab you grew up with.
7. Oh, and “blinker.”
Obviously, FIBs don’t even know what those are.
8. Every meal incorporates cheese.
I’m looking at you, broccoli and cauliflower.
9. When you want to wind down after partying, you switch to beer.
Miller Lite = water after 12:00 AM.
10. Until the snow flies, it’s shorts weather.
There’s always that one guy in shorts, sandals, and a beer in hand, even when it’s 40 degrees out.
11. You hear Harley-Davidsons everywhere.
Rev those engines.
12. Weekends away are spent up north.
You’ll stay in a cabin by the lake, with a boat, and most meals will be cooked outdoors. Up north isn’t a place, it’s a state of mind.
13. You’re eating casserole and it’s delicious.
And there’s definitely a can of creamed soup in there.
14. That road is still under construction.
The endless strips of orange barrels are kind of comforting, right? At least you know some things never change.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points