Villa on the Rocks is located in Bandol, a seaside town in the Provence region in southeastern France. This “provencial” villa is anything but. Designed by architect Rudy Ricciotti, who also designed MuCEM in Marseille, it’s a modern home most famous for its spectacular (and unique) 28-meter aquarium pool with transparent walls that look into the lower floor of the house. The light refracted through the water makes an impression on the lower level, infiltrating the space with aquatic hues and watery whirls.
The home extends over three levels and weaves through outdoor terraces, open corridors, multiple living levels, and individual rooms. The designer mid-century modern furniture is vintage, and the gardens are masterfully manicured. But you’ll probably be spending most of your time in the pool which looks out over the ocean, valley, and 5,000 square meters of gardens.
Right now it’s for rent on AirBnb, but if you’ve got around 2.5 million euros to spend, the villa could be yours for good.
How to get there
The villa is located in Bandol, a small seaside town in The Var—a department in the Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur region in Provence (southeastern France). It’s easily accessible from the larger cities of Marseille or Nice by train or car rental. The only way to see Villa on the Rocks is to rent it on Airbnb.
What to consider
- At the time of publication, the villa rents for ~$700/ night.
- It accommodates up to 10 guests (6 adults and 4 children).
- There’s a 2-night minimum stay, but you can rent it out for longer periods as well.
- The home is about 400 square meters and has a very open floor plan (some of the rooms are not so much rooms with doors as they are interpreted separate spaces).
- Bandol has beautiful beaches that are less crowded than its more famous neighbors like Saint Tropez.
- The vineyards are world class, and some of the best in France.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
100,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points