Spirit Airlines Is Adding 30 New Routes To Its Flight Schedule
Budget airline Spirit is adding 30 routes to its flight schedule that go in and out of Miami International Airport (MIA). The Florida-based company is known for its flights in and out of Fort Lauderdale.
According to CNBC, the move shakes up the market as Miami is known for being dominated by American Airlines, which accounted for 55 percent of the airport’s flights in the last month.
Miami has become a popular destination recently, particularly for the ease it provides to get to the Caribbean. The new routes added by Spirit Airlines include 10 international cities and 20 domestic ones.
Other airlines breaking into the Miami market include JetBlue, Delta, and Southwest. Spirit’s move is particularly interesting because, with 30 routes, the budget airline will now become the second-largest carrier with Miami flights, according to The Points Guy.
The new 30 Spirit Airlines route to and from Miami include:
- Atlantic City, New Jersey (ACY)
- Atlanta, Georgia (ATL)
- Baltimore, Maryland (BWI)
- Bogota, Colombia (BOG)
- Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
- Medellín, Colombia (MDE)
- Newark, New Jersey (EWR)
- Port-au-Prince, Haiti (PAP)
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
- San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
- Barranquilla, Colombia (BAQ)
- Boston, Massachusetts (BOS)
- Cali, Colombia (CLO)
- Chicago O’Hare, Illinois (ORD)
- Cleveland, Ohio (CLE)
- Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas (DFW)
- Denver, Colorado (DEN)
- Detroit, Michigan (DTW)
- Hartford-Bradley, Connecticut (BDL)
- Houston Intercontinental, Texas (IAH)
- Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS)
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina(MYR)
- New York LaGuardia, New York (LGA)
- Orlando, Florida (MCO)
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PHL)
- Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (RDU)
- San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
- San José, Costa Rica (SJO)
- San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
- St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (STT)
The significant expansion into Miami doesn’t mean Spirit plans to downsize its presence in Fort Lauderdale. In fact, according to The Points Guy, Spirit has added 30 more flights during the pandemic.