Road Tripper Gabrielle Petito's Death Is Ruled a Homicide by Strangulation While Fiancé Is Still at Large

Utah News
by Jori Ayers Olivia Harden Sep 21, 2021

On September 11 Gabby Petito’s family reported that their daughter was missing. Several new developments have been made in the case.

On September 19, human remains resembling Gabby Petito were found at Wyoming’s Bridger-Teton National Forest at an undeveloped camping site on the eastern edge of Grand Teton National Park, according to NBC New York. On September 21, a coroner in Wyoming confirmed that the body found was Petito and ruled her death a homicide. On October 12, the results of the autopsy showed Petito had died by strangulation. Her body had been outside for three to four weeks before it was found, according to The New York Times.

The Teton County Coroner’s Office had determined on Sept. 21 that her death was a homicide, but Dr. Blue said on Tuesday that he did not know the exact day Ms. Petito died.

“There will not be an exact date of death on the death certificate,” Dr. Brent Blue, the coroner, said.

According to NBC News, Petito and her fiance Brian Laundrie set out on July 2 and documented their travels on Instagram, TikTok, and their YouTube channel, but on September 1, Brian returned to their Florida home in their van without Gabby. He remains nowhere to be found.

A woman has said she and her boyfriend gave Laundrie a ride on August 29 in Wyoming. She said that Laundrie claimed he’d been camping by himself while Petitio worked on social media posts in the van. Miranda Baker, who has already spoken with authorities, posted on TikTok that she and her boyfriend picked up Laundrie that evening while he was hitchhiking in Colter Bay, Wyoming, not too far from where Petito’s body was found on Sunday, reported CNN.


@mirandabaker_##gabbypetito ##findgabby ##brianlaundrie♬ original sound – Miranda Baker

On August 12, before Gabby went missing, police responded to a domestic violence call. Below is the body cam footage.

Gabby was last seen alive checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah, on August 24, and she last spoke with her family on August 25. Gabby’s mother told police that Gabby texted her on August 30, writing, “No service in Yellowstone.”

On September 20, the police declared Launderie’s parent’s home a crime scene and spent hours combing the home and taking several items for evidence, especially looking for a digital footprint. His parents say they haven’t heard from their son since September 14, when he told them he was going to the Carlton Reserve, a 25,000-acre nature reserve near Venice, Florida, but Petito’s parents believe they know where he is. They penned this letter in response.


On September 28 Petito’s family held a press conference thanking the public for their support and interest in uncovering other missing persons. They also announced the new Gabby Petito Foundation.

“We’re hoping through our tragedy of losing Gabby, that in the future, some good can come out of it, that we can help other people that may be in a similar situation,” Jim Schmidt said. “We’re just hopeful we’re able to help people in the future.”

Discover Matador

Save Bookmark

We use cookies for analytics tracking and advertising from our partners.

For more information read our privacy policy.