Price of Travel have put together a “Backpacker Index” which breaks down the costs of visiting cities in South America. This research was formulated via the following elements;
- One night in the cheapest bunk at the least expensive hostel with a good location and good reviews.
- Two public transportation rides per day.
- One paid/famous attraction per day (Every city is loaded with free things to do for budget-conscious travelers, but here we take the average cost of a major attraction in each city for each day.).
- Three “budget” meals per day.
- Three cheap, local beers each day as an “entertainment fund.” Non-drinkers might have dessert and coffee or attend a local music performance instead, so this is a general benchmark that should be proportional for each city.
In addition to the cultural and scenic highlights, the entire area is quite cheap by international standards, at least once you are here. Backpacking in the region can be very inexpensive and mid-range travel can be surprisingly affordable as well. Check out the list, start trip planning and catch the end of summer.
Editor’s note: These spots are all taken directly from travelstoke®, a new app from Matador that connects you with fellow travelers and locals, and helps you build trip itineraries with spots that integrate seamlessly into Google Maps and Uber. Download the app to add any of the spots below directly to your future trips.
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$20.90/day
San Francisco marketQuito, EcuadorThis is a local market where you can buy all the fruits you need. they also sell meats and other quick meals. If you are looking for flowers, you can purchase at this place as well. very close to San Francisco church and worth a visit. Very cheap eats
La Paz, Bolivia
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$24.20/day
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$30.26/day
San Pedro MarketCusco, PeruThe San Pedro Market has existed in the same location in Cusco for over 100 years! There are so many stalls to check out that sell gorgeous fruits, Peruvian chocolate, fresh meats, as well as odds and ends. This is a must stop while in Cusco. #cheap-eats
- Daily Backpacker Index: COP92,600 = US$30.95/day
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$31.17/day
1900 Backpackers HostelLima, PeruForget about the all too touristic miraflores! It is not the best part of Lima, you should go the the historical centre 🙂 at least that is my recommendations!
A hostal inside a building which will make you forget about luxury hotels! The building is a wonderful and ancient building with such nice staff who all speaks perfect English 👍 the breakfast is not the best though, however, it is clean, has hot showers and nicely uphold. Its location is nice and the staff have a free walking tour every day exec Sunday, which I for sure can recommend!!
Larco MuseumDistrito de Lima, PeruThis (in)famous museum is a chock full of all sorts of interesting remnants from Peruvian history. Have a pisco sour or two before the human sacrifice artifact and the ancient NSW pottery exhibits. Both are… Intense.
San Jose, Costa Rica
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$32.29/day
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$34.69/day
Plaza de ArmasSantiago, ChileThe center of Chile’s capital, Plaza de Armas and its famous Catedral Metropolitana de Santiago are an impressive example of Chilean architecture and vibrancy. #culture #architecture #travelstoke
QuinoaVitacura, ChileHands down one of the best cafes in Santiago. Delishious veg and vegan organic menu. Juices are fresh and there’s many combos. They do take away too. Sit in the back in the garden area and enjoy feeding your soul with healthy food full of love 🙌 #heathlyeating #cafe #coffee #freewifi
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$35.76/day
Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Daily Backpacker Index: US$39.54/day
Club Atlético HuracánBuenos Aires, ArgentinaTraditional Club in Bienos Aires. Great Stadion. Derby is played against San Lorenzo. No tickets on the Matchday; get them the days before. #groundhopping #football