The Sale of Inca Trail Permits for 2019 Starts Today
The 2018 hiking season on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is far from over, but if you’re planning on visiting in 2019, the permit sales start today on Monday, October 1st.
The tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis and they sell out fast, especially for the most desirable months of May, June, and July.
Inca Trail permits can only be obtained through a certified travel operator. Note that travelers cannot access the Inca Trail without a permit and a tour guide.
Almost 192,000 people walk the 43 kilometers (25 miles) of the famous Inca Trail to Machu Picchu every year. Only 500 permits per day are put up for sale for the classic Inca Trail, which will be shared by porters, guides, and tourists.
In addition to the 500 permits per day released for the classic Inca Trail, there are another 400 permits for the short Inca Trail, a day hike along a stretch of the final part of the classic Inca Trail.
Before booking your tour, take some time to do research in order to choose a conscientious travel operator that ensures sustainable practices for the local porters, includes women, and makes sure that the site is treated in a respectful manner.
Here is the list of the dates when the permits go on sale as determined by SERNANP (Servicio Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas por el Estado):
- October 1st, 2018: Permits to trek from January 1st to January 31st, 2019
- October 2nd, 2018: Permits to trek from March 1st to March 31st, 2019
- October 3rd, 2018: Permits to trek from April 1st to April 30th, 2019
- October 4th, 2018: Permits to trek from May 1st to May 15th, 2019
- October 5th, 2018: Permits to trek from May 15th to May 31st, 2019
- October 9th, 2018: Permits to trek from June 1st to June 30th, 2019
- October 10th, 2018: Permits to trek from July 1st to July 31st, 2019
- October 11th, 2018: Permits to trek from August 1st to December 2019