What do you do when the snow’s gone? Revelstoke Mountain Resort on the slopes of Mount Mackenzie in British Columbia, Canada is known for its verticality — having the longest vertical descent of any ski resort in North America. They put their steep slopes to use for summertime fun when they built the Pipe Mountain Coaster.
To experience this nearly mile-long ride with a 915-foot vertical drop, you’ll first take the Gondola to the top where you’ll be buckled into a cart that’s attached to a single rail which winds its way down the mountain.
The carts can go up to 26 mph — which is quite a clip when you’re bombing down a mountain. But the cool thing is, since the ride operates on gravity and grease, the riders can control their speeds with a hand brake, making it fun for all levels of adrenaline seekers. You can choose a screaming, white knuckled ride, or a summer’s day cruise. Your speed is entirely up to you. The carts hold a single adult, with the option to ride tandem with a child.
The views of the surrounding mountains and the Columbia River as you cruise into the valley are unbelievable.
How to get there
Revelstoke Mountain Resort is just 3 miles outside the town of Revelstoke in British Columbia, Canada. Revelstoke is about 400 miles east of Vancouver and 300 miles west of Calgary. The nearest airport is Kelowna International Airport, a two hour drive from the resort. Alternatively, Greyhound Canada services the town of Revelstoke. Check out their schedule.
What to consider
- Single ride tickets will cost you $25 for adults, $18 for kids 6-12, and children under 5 ride free.
- You might want to save a few bucks and buy a multi-pass ticket because chances are you’ll want to ride more than once.
- Your Gondola ride is included with your ticket price.
- During the summer months (the only time it’s open), there can be a wait. So get there early.
- It’s excellent fun for all ages from tiny to eighty.
- The coaster doesn’t run in the rain or high winds.
- You cannot use handheld devices on the ride, so if you want video, strap it to your body.
- Check the site for live updates on open and closures.
- At the end of the ride(s), stop for a local pint and some food at Rockford, some of the best patio dining in Revelstoke.