CALIFORNIA IS THE MOST POPULOUS STATE in the United States, but how would you fare at Cali-themed trivia? The guys over at Factslides put together some interesting facts for us about the state, most of which we bet you didn’t know.
1. 1 out of every 8 Americans is from California.
A photo posted by Katie White (@peelowgirl) on
2. There’s a town named “Cool” and another called “Squabbletown.”
3. California’s official state animal is extinct.
A photo posted by Andrew (@tbone_patron) on
4. In California and three other states “Ladies’ Night” are against the law because they are gender discrimination.
5. The five worst cities in the U.S. for air pollution are all in California.
A photo posted by Los Angeles, California (@losangeles_city) on
6. California produces 80% of the world’s almonds.
For the California Almond community, harvest is the busiest time of year. #Harvest generally occurs between August and mid-October as it spans across several different almond varieties and through varied micro-climates within California’s Central Valley. Follow #almondtour for an inside look at the harvest season! #Almonds
A photo posted by California Almonds (@californiaalmonds) on
7. California has more than 130,000 people in prison.
8. Antartica was once as warm as modern-day California.
regram @quantum_blackboard Today’s Daily Dose of Science is about Antartica, and how cold it is. It gets down to 90F below freezing, (if freezing is 32F, then that’s -58F!)! Antartica is so cold, the ice never melts, and yet it is home to multiple animals, all of which survive the cold. Please like and follow. #Antartica #Cold #Seals #Penguins #Seal #Penguin #ColdWeather #Temperature #Freezing #Freeze #DailyDoseOfScience
A photo posted by Guy Smat (@guysmat) on
9. LSD was legal in California until 1966.
10. And it was the first U.S state that banned marijuana over a century ago.
11. There’s a microwave burrito vending machine at a gas station in Hollywood, California.
A photo posted by Burritobox (@burritoboxofficial) on
12. Air pollution in China increases snowfall in the state.
@tashamonet ‘s dirty 30 #bigbear birthday trip was great. Happy birthday!!!
A photo posted by James Grant Jr (@sk8athlete) on
13. There’s a coast-to-coast hiking trail that stretches from Delaware to California.
A photo posted by Grounded Haug (@backpacking_believers) on
14. Latinos now outnumber whites in the state since 2015.
15. California is the world’s 5th largest supplier of food.
Arriving at the super foodie #grandcentralmarket in #LosAngeles – so many food stalls, fantastic tacos, gourmet burgers, so much to eat, so little time! #TasteUSA #LoveAmerica @discoveramerica @visitcalifornia #LAStories #VisitCalifornia #VisitLA #travelblogger #lovemyjob #LoveCalifornia #grabyourmoment #EatThisShootThat
A photo posted by Luiz Hara (@thelondonfoodie) on