Few cities offer a cool climate early in the morning, perfect for a hot cup of coffee, and then at midday the ideal temperature for an ice cold beer. The city of Puebla, two hours from Mexico City, is surrounded by the highest summits in Mexico including Popocatépetl and Iztaccihuatl, as well as La Malinche. The historical center of the city is a UNESCO world heritage site so there is plenty of culture to inhale whilst digging into some of the best food in Mexico.
1. Walk through the Xanenetla neighborhood and photograph 55 different murals representing the locals’ stories and dreams.
2. Ride a bike through Parque Lineal which will take you to El Jardín del Arte, La Estrella de Puebla, Eco Parque Metropolitano and Paseo del Río Atoyac. If you don’t have a bike then you can hike it instead.
A photo posted by Diego León (@diegogoleon) on
3. For those sweet cravings visit La California and try some of the tasty paletas, flanes or gelatinas.
4. Do a cantinas tour. Don’t be afraid to try beverages with superstitious names like El Vampiro or El Charro Negro and take it easy with a subtle drink called La Pasita. Be sure to try the Sangria at La Terminal.
5. People say you can cure a hangover with chalupas…at the very least it’s a delicious snack to have before eating something more substantial. Find them in El Parián, outside churches on festive holidays, and in the evenings on street corners. If you prefer to sit down, try La Chiquita, a personal favorrite.
A photo posted by Jazmin Rios (@jazminrlj) on
6. When you’re ready for some pulque, head to La Generala Pulqueria. Various flavors are served in cacariza, chivo and tornillo glasses. Chocolate, tomato or guava combinations are prepared with this so-called “drink of the gods”.
7. Visit the Museo Amparo terrace for a great view of the city and its churches. On weekends, in the evening, you can see the churches lit up and there is live music.
8. Is it Monday and you need to get rid of that stress? Don’t worry, lucha libre at Arena Puebla is the perfect place to shout and learn Mexican slang whilst you devour a cemita.
A photo posted by @anolivewithatwist on
A video posted by LITTLE MEXICAN CAFE (@littlemexicancafe) on
9. Visit Los Fuertes de Loreto y Guadalupe and take in the 360 degree panoramic view. If you’re lucky you’ll see four giants.
A photo posted by Emmanuel Miranda (@emmirand) on
10. Drink a mojito at La Mina de Plata, a transit point for a tipple. With those prices maybe you should stay for two or three.
Hans y Cuautli felices #LaMinadePlata #Puebla #México
A photo posted by Alejandro Cuautli (@alecuautli1) on
11. Try Los Molletes de Santa Clara, a sweet bread stuffed with pastry cream with a glaze made of squash seed. ¡No solo de camotes vive el poblano!
12. Go to a Rekamara Teatro Íntimo performance where you are literally sitting next to the actors. Every year the International Theater Festival takes place in the city of Puebla.
A photo posted by Moisés Rivera (@m_rivera_) on
14. Annihilate some antojitos poblanos at one of the puestos on 5 poniente (close to the cathedral) and experience a real Mexican food coma.
15. If you like flea markets go to Barrio de Analco on Sunday and continue through to Los Sapos until you reach El Carolino.
A photo posted by Esbs (@padmee_) on
16. Experience Día de Muertos at the municipal cemetery.
“Un día llegarán a saber qué es la Muerte con letra mayúscula”. José Saramago – Las intermitencias de la muerte. #explorapuebla #loves_puebla #igerspuebla #ig_puebla #ig_mexico #icu_mexico #vive_mexico #loves_latino #mexicoandando #streetart #instagramers #beginnersmx #talentosmx #espiritu_callejero #mextagram #instaartista #mexico_great_shots #magnumphotos #ig_sharepoint #kodakmoment #kodakmomentsmx #pasionxmexico #gestaltenurbana #wu_mexico
A photo posted by Leo Pm (@leo.pm) on
A photo posted by Profética (@profeticacasadelectura) on
18. Get scared on a Leyendas de Puebla tour.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
100,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points