Deep in the Indian Ocean, Six Senses Laamu is the only resort in the Laamu Atoll, in the thick of the Maldives. It’s an island luxury resort focused on total decompression from day to day life, with a shot of adrenaline if you’re into surfing, diving, snorkeling, wakeboarding, water skiing, dolphins, and sea life. It’s small enough to feel like you’re not on a deserted island but big enough that you feel like you’re on your own solo adventure.
Laamu Resort has its hand on the steady pulse of sustainability and ecotourism; they gauge their sustainability against the targets set by Green Globe Benchmarks and adjust when needed. They have an awesome section on their website that outlines exactly how they apply their self-imposed environmental responsibility.
Located on the Olhuveli Island in the Laamu Atoll — a group of 80 islands — Laamu resort has 97 rooms, of which 73 are villas built over the water. The reefs are pristine, the water is unbelievably clear with so many shades of blue you think you’re looking at paint samples, the wildlife is abundant and undisturbed, and the surf breaks are legendary.
If you ever wanted paradise without the crowds, Laamu is it.
How to get there
From Male International Airport in the Maldives, you’ll take an island-hopping flight and then a short boat ride to the resort. Book your visit to get detailed directions.
What to consider
- Accommodations start at over $900 a night.
- This is a family-friendly place, bring the kids!
- Rooms are loaded with amenities, including air conditioning.
- There are six restaurants at the resort.
- Laamu can organize all the activities you could ever want: Check out their experiences here.
- Much of the resort’s dishes include organic produce from their own gardens.
- They have a diving school on site where you can take your PADI Open Water training.
- It’s a luxury resort, so just be prepared to spend more than you would at, say, Club Med.
- They have Wi-Fi, but you’ll probably be too busy unplugging to go online.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
100,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points