1. Tell them you bought shoes specifically to compliment the PDX airport carpet.
A photo posted by Jessie Joye (@jessiejoye) on
2. Tell them their homegrown kombucha recipe beats anything you could get at Whole Foods.
A photo posted by Lion Heart Kombucha (@lionheartkombucha) on
3. Compliment them on their wide beer-vocabulary, forged in the nation’s microbrew capital.
A photo posted by Hopworks Urban Brewery (@hopworksbeer) on
4. Meet their kilted, darth-vader-helmet-wearing flaming-bag-pipe-playing unicycle jaunt with applause. They’re “keeping it weird,” after all.
5. Tell them how impressed you are that they maintain a 9-to-5 AND an exotic backyard garden with several chickens.
A photo posted by Gin Hicks-Baba Yaga (@ginhix) on
6. Tell them how much you admire their commitment to their four-legged-friends and quirky-pet-culture.
7. Tell them you’d rather drink a “large Stumptown Hair Bender” than a “Venti Americano-Doubleshot” any day.
Stumptown Hairbender is always a good time @stumptowncoffee #coffee #stumptown #portland #oregon #espresso #cafe #latte #latteart #westcoast #seattle #ristretto #roasters #vsco #vscocam #iphonecamera #travel #backpacking #baristalife #barista #breville #brooklyn
A photo posted by Jordan Alejandro (@clocklesswatch) on
8. Compliment them on their impressive facial hair, and tell them they could totally win the World Championships the next time it rolls through town.
9. Let them tell you about the merits of kale and the evils of fluoride in the water.
😳How big and beautiful is this #kale leave? Is organic and the quality of the texture and flavor is amazing🍀😋 I use kale in many ways but my favorite is making wraps and crispy on the oven. It is definitely one of the healthiest and most nutritious plant foods in existence. Is an excellent source of Vitamin C, K, A, magnesium,calcium, fiber, beta carotene and cancer fighter. Go buy Kale 😉
A photo posted by melissa (@meliyoguini) on
10. Compliment them on their “flow.”
A video posted by Jasper's Gypsy Wire Jewelry (@jgwirejewelry) on
11. Ask them to take you on a sightseeing tour… of the old-growth forests.
A photo posted by Julie (@jgourdeau.photography) on
12. Tell them that “zoobombing” definitely beats going to any amusement park, hands down.
13. And finally, tell them their smile is the only sunshine you need (note: this is particularly effective during the months of February-April)