My friend Sylvie Laitre of Mexico Boutique Hotels just alerted me to a writing contest and asked that I invite Matador writers to participate.
The Nick Gallo Award, named for travel writer Nick Gallo, who died on assignment in Greece in 2008, will be awarded to a writer who had an article about Mexico published in 2009.
Here are the contest specs:
• The contest is open to all U.S.- and Canada-based freelance writers specializing in Mexico.
• The article must have been published in 2009.
• The article must be at least 800 words and was published in either print media (magazine or newspaper) or an online publication. (Blogs are not eligible).
• The topic must be related to Mexico’s tourism and/or culture.
The contest is sponsored by Mexico Boutique Hotels, www.MexicoPremiere.com, and AeroMexico. The entry deadline is March 15, 2010, and the winner will be announced in late April. The entries will be judged by a panel of professionals from the Mexico tourism industry, including executives from airlines and hotels, and the winner will receive:
• An original woodblock print on plexiglass/lucite created by artist Laurie Brown, Nick Gallo’s wife;
• Two round-trip tickets from their nearest US gateway to Ciudad Obregon, Mexico;
• A three night stay at Hacienda de los Santos, one of Mexico Boutique Hotels’ properties and the former home of an 18th century silver baron;
• Daily full menu breakfast at the Agave Café;
• Two massages;
• Two dinners; and
• A one-hour aerial tour of the Sierra Madre with pilot and Hacienda de los Santos owner, Jim Swickard.
Entries should be sent to email@example.com.
Matador contributors have written some incredible articles and essays about Mexico, so I hope to see the winner of the award come from our community of writers.
For tips on becoming a better writer, be sure to reference our How to Write Focus Page and consider joining MatadorU, our 12 week travel writing program.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
80,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points