Believe it or not, there’s more to being from Kansas than enduring unoriginal The Wizard of Oz jokes from out-of-staters and being surrounded by Republicans and farmland.
1. You know where you stand in the Sunflower Showdown.
You were either raised in a KU or K-State household, so when the schools play each other in football and basketball, we can’t help but feel a little more competitive than usual.
2. Speaking of sunflowers, there’s a picture of you standing in a field of them.
Kansas isn’t called the “Sunflower State” for nothing.
3. You spent the ungodly humid summers of your youth at Worlds of Fun growing up.
“Hold on tight, because the Mamba is about to strike.” *boom boom* *tzz*
4. Independence Day? More like Independence Week.
Doesn’t matter if fireworks are legal in your city or not, you shoot off explosives from the weekend before to the weekend after the holiday.
5. After a while, you don’t bother to correct people who assume that Kansas City is in Kansas anymore.
Most of it is in Missouri, but if you grew up and live in the metropolitan area like I did and do, you spend a lot of time over there.
6. Baseball season is the most wonderful time of the year (because Royals).
The Royals may technically be Missouri’s MLB team, but that doesn’t stop us from claiming them as our team, too. With Salvy splashes, Eric Hosmer first base saves, Mike Moustakas (MOOOOOOOOOSE) home runs and the unbreakable bond of the whole team, what’s not to love?
7. Pretty much any surprising situation results in “ope.”
Turn the corner and almost run into your coworker? “Ope!” Drop your spare change at the register? “Ope!”
8. Experiencing spring, summer, fall, and winter weather in the span of 12-24 hours doesn’t surprise you in the slightest.
Kansas’s weather does what it wants, and we’re just along for the ride.
9. Your Instagram is cluttered with pictures of the sky.
Where Kansas lacks in interesting terrain, it makes up in picture-perfect sunsets that end up all over your newsfeed. Mountains, beaches, and forests are overrated, honestly.
10. Tornado warning? No problem.
Instead of seeking shelter during tornado warnings, you stand on our front lawns and stare at the green, swirling clouds.