US airlines taking government funding during the coronavirus pandemic had been required to maintain service to all their destinations. But airlines have been asking for exemptions from this requirement citing low passenger demand, and the Department of Transportation (DOT) has allowed 15 US airlines to drop their service to 75 airports.
United and Delta airlines were approved to drop flights to 11 airports, Allegiant Air was allowed to stop service to six airports, and JetBlue, Alaska, Spirit, and Frontier airlines were each allowed to drop flights to five airports.
One Mile at a Time compiled the complete list of the US airlines cutting their services and the destinations concerned:
- Alaska Airlines: Charleston, SC; Columbus, OH; El Paso, TX; New Orleans, LA; San Antonio, TX
- Allegiant Air: New Orleans, LA; Ogdensburg, NY; Palm Springs, CA; San Antonio, TX; Springfield, IL; Tucson, AZ
- American Airlines: Aspen, CO; Eagle, CO; Montrose/Delta, CO; Worcester, MA
- Cape Air: Portland, ME
- Corvus Airlines: Goodnews Bay, AK; Kodiak, AK; Napakiak, AK; Napaskiak, AK; Platinum, AK
- Delta Air Lines: Aspen, CO; Bangor, ME; Erie, PA; Flint, MI; Fort Smith, AR; Lincoln, NE; New Bern/Morehead/Beaufort, NC; Peoria, IL; Santa Barbara, CA; Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA; Williston, ND
- Elite Airways: Sarasota/Bradenton, FL
- Frontier Airlines: Greenville/Spartanburg, SC; Mobile, AL; Palm Springs, CA; Portland, ME; Tyler, TX
- JetBlue Airways: Albuquerque, NM; Palm Springs, CA; Sacramento, CA; Sarasota/Bradenton, FL; Worcester, MA
- Seaborne Airlines: Charlotte Amalie, VI; Christiansted, VI; Culebra, San Juan, and Vieques in Puerto Rico
- Silver Airways: Charlotte Amalie, VI; Huntsville, AL; Key West, FL; Tallahassee, FL; Tampa, FL
- Spirit Airlines: Asheville, NC; Charlotte Amalie, VI; Christiansted, VI; Greensboro/High Point, NC; Plattsburgh, NY
- Sun Air Express: Nashville, TN
- Sun Country Airlines: Madison, WI; Philadelphia, PA; Portland, OR; Sacramento, CA; St. Louis, MO
- United Airlines: Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA; Charlotte Amalie, VI; Chattanooga, TN; Fairbanks, AK; Hilton Head, SC; Ithaca/Cortland, NY; Kalamazoo, MI; Key West, FL; Lansing, MI; Myrtle Beach, SC; Rochester, MN
If you live in a city with discontinued service, don’t despair. The DOT requires all airports to be served by at least one air carrier, so while your options may be temporarily limited, you won’t be stranded.
But when the CARES Act funding ends, in September 2020, US airlines will be allowed to make any cuts they wish, so things may get worse for smaller airports around the country.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
80,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points