Utrecht is often referred to as the “cozier version of Amsterdam.” Located in the heart of the Netherlands the country’s fourth-largest city is home to winding canals, pretty narrow streets, excellent restaurants and bars, and a thriving art scene. The city was founded by the Romans and was once the most important city in the Netherlands. Because of this Utrecht’s historic center is packed with historically significant buildings and rich architecture. It also has some one-of-a-kind accommodations hidden in the ancient streets. Some of these apartments have been developed under street level in the canal wall. This loft Airbnb is a perfect example of the unique builds.
We hope you love LOFT 188 Utrecht. Just so you know, Matador may collect a small commission from the links on this page if you decide to book a stay. Listed prices are accurate as of the time of publication.
@epic.stays Would you spend the night in this canal loft? 📍LOFT 188 Luxury Apartment Hotel in #Utrecht #Netherlands 🎥 @kelseymarillis #airbnb #airbnbfinds #uniquestay #travelholland ♬ original sound – epic.stays
The rental is located on the Oudegracht in the heart of the city. Oudegracht is a historic canal running through the heart of Utrecht. This picturesque canal was built in the 12th century and has since become one of the city’s most famous attractions. A stroll along its cobblestoned banks, past charming cafes, art galleries, and canal-side bars is a lovely way to spend a weekend.
This Airbnb sets itself apart from the other hotels in Utrecht because of its unique placement. The loft has been developed from an original stone-clad medieval wharf cellar inside the canal wall.
The architectural masterpiece blends a colorful, modern decor with the original stonework from 1450 and the curved shaped structure of the cellar. Guests enter through a small door in the wall and can enjoy breakfast at an outdoor table by the water.
The loft sleeps two guests and has one large, and richly decorated king-sized bed. A night in by the historic canal will cost an average of $240 per night.
Previous guests rave about the rental’s central location, its walkability to the historic center, its unique character, and that it is actually a lot bigger than the photos would suggest.
What to do in Utrecht
Utrecht is a fun city filled with plenty of activities to keep any traveler entertained. Here are some of the top things to do during your stay.
- Visit the Museum Speelklok, which is home to an extensive collection of self-playing musical instruments and automatons.
- Explore Utrecht’s stunning canals on a boat tour or take a leisurely walk along its cobbled streets and admire its many historical monuments.
- Check out the colorful flea markets where you can find antiques, vintage wares, and handmade souvenirs.
- Enjoy delicious Dutch delicacies such as poffertjes (mini pancakes) or stroopwafels (syrup waffles).
- Take the Utrecht Highlights Bike Tour to explore Utrecht’s ancient city center and iconic sights.
- Visit the Dom Tower, Utrecht’s tallest structure and one of the most recognizable landmarks in the Netherlands.
- Take a picnic at Wilhelmina Park or take part in sports activities such as canoeing and kayaking.
- Experience Utrecht nightlife with its many bars, live music venues and nightclubs.