Photo: Leonid Andronov/Shutterstock

Woman Dies After Meal at Michelin-Starred Restaurant

Restaurants + Bars News
by Eben Diskin Feb 22, 2019

A 46-year-old woman who dined with her husband and son at the one-Michelin-star RiFF restaurant in Valencia, Spain, on Saturday evening died on Sunday morning. Her husband and son were sick with what looks like food poisoning (diarrhea and vomiting). Officials later tracked down 75 people who had eaten at the restaurant between February 13 and 16 and discovered that 29 of them had suffered food poisoning.

Food safety officers inspected RiFF on Monday but couldn’t find any apparent cause for the illnesses. Reports have alleged that mushrooms may be the culprit, but samples of dishes have been sent to the National Toxicology Institute for analysis, and officials are awaiting the results before drawing any conclusions.

Bernd H Knöller, owner and head chef of RiFF, said in a statement reported by the BBC, “Regardless of the reason that may have caused this situation, I want to convey my deep regret for what happened, hoping that soon all these facts can be clarified.” In addition to issuing a formal apology to customers, Knöller also “made the decision that the restaurant remains closed until the causes of what happened are established.”

H/T: BBC News

Discover Matador

Save Bookmark

We use cookies for analytics tracking and advertising from our partners.

For more information read our privacy policy.