1. You make the most boring holiday wish lists.
This is the holiday wish list I gave to my family in the US last year:
– 60 oz bottle of Yellow Mustard
– 6 pack of Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
– 2, 12 oz bottles of extra spicy Buffalo Sauce
– socks that fit my giant feet
– deodorant that actually deodorizes my American swamp-pits
Norman Rockwell Americana it wasn’t, but when I got that those bottles of extra spicy buffalo sauce I heard the hallelujah chorus sing in exultation. While in years past I’d asked for new clothes, snazzy electronics, or a pony, my time abroad made me long for the little comforts I couldn’t get abroad.
Never underestimate the merry-making powers of an effective deodorant and well-fitting socks.