Winning a National Geographic contest is a covetous title and once again, the Society has given budding travel photographers another opportunity to earn one. Its International Photography Contest 2009 aims to showcase the best pictures depicting people, places, and nature from around the globe.
Peruse its online galleries to view some stunning entries from past winners of the competition.
From National Geographic:
The international grand-prize winner in each category will receive a trip to National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D.C., for himself or herself for five (5) days and four (4) nights, in early 2010, including round-trip coach-class air transportation to and from the major airport closest to winner’s home, hotel accommodations for four (4) nights, an awards ceremony, a U.S. $50 gift certificate to the National Geographic store, and U.S. $460 in spending money, and will have his or her photo published in all participating editions of National Geographic magazine.
In addition to competing for the grand prize, each first place winner in the three categories will receive a digital camera kit valued at $1,000.
Some more fine print:
* Entries should be submitted electronically to www.ngphotocontest.com.
* The contest began Wednesday, August 5, 2009 and ends Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009, 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time (ET).
* Photos can be black-and-white or color, shot with a digital camera or with conventional film, and must be submitted digitally.
* Each entry consists of an entry form, a single image and an entry fee.
* The entry fee is U.S. $12 per photo for entries received before 11:59 p.m. ET Oct. 15, 2009 and, $22 per photo for entries received between Oct. 16 and Oct. 31.
Head over to www.ngphotocontest.com for more details as well as official contest rules.