In April 2017, WIN (Worldwide Independent Network of Market Research) and GALLUP International surveyed more than 66,000 people in 68 countries and only 9% consider themselves atheists.
To clarify this data, the World Economic Forum created the map below.
The most atheist countries are:
- China with only 9% of the people surveyed declaring themselves as religious.
- Sweden where 73% of the people surveyed said to be atheist or non-religious.
- The Czech Republic where 72% of the people surveyed said to be atheist or non-religious.
- The United Kingdom where 69% of the people surveyed said to be atheist or non-religious.
According to this WIN/GALLUP report, “as education and income levels grow higher, religiosity levels tend to diminish.”
On the other end of the spectrum, the most religious countries are:
- Thailand with 98% of its population declaring to be religious.
- Nigeria (97%)
- Kosovo (94%)
- India (94%)
- Ghana (94%)
- Ivory Coast (94%)
- Papua New Guinea (94%)
How does your home country rank in this survey? Is it very religious or atheist? Let us know in the comment section.
Click here for more about WIN (Worldwide Independent Network of Market Research) and GALLUP International’s survey.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
80,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points