Few things ruin a summer vacation like flight delays or cancellations. AirHelp, a passenger rights organization, is doing its part to keep air passengers as informed as possible, so that they can plan their trips accordingly. It analyzed airline data from the most popular domestic and international airports to determine which are the worst for flight delays and cancellations.
According to the study, between March 31 and June 15 of this year, nearly 25 percent of all flights from Chicago O’Hare International Airport were disrupted, with Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport having 24 percent of its flights disrupted. Here is the list of the top 10 airports for disruptions in the US.
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport: 22,200 disrupted flights
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport: 18,000 disrupted flights
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport: 14,700 disrupted flights
- Denver International Airport: 13,600 disrupted flights
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport: 12,400 disrupted flights
- Los Angeles International Airport: 11,100 disrupted flights
- Newark Liberty International Airport: 10,900 disrupted flights
- Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport: 10,100 disrupted flights
- LaGuardia Airport: 9,700 disrupted flights
- John F. Kennedy International Airport: 8,900 disrupted flights
Airports in Germany, Spain, and Italy are also plagued by delays, as 267,000 air travelers in Germany experienced a flight delay this spring. About 20 percent of flights departing from Italy, France, Great Britain, and Turkey were also disrupted.
AirHelp also provides assistance to air passengers who may be eligible for compensation. If you experienced travel disruptions during Memorial Day and/or Labor Day weekends in 2018, you may be entitled to compensation from the airlines. Over 107,900 US passengers flying to and from the European Union between those dates could receive up to $700 in compensation if they experienced cancellations or long delays — and they have three years to claim it. To learn if you’re entitled to compensation for a flight delay during those dates, check out AirHelp’s website.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
100,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points