I CAN BE hard on myself. I can be scared, full of fear. I often forget about paying attention to myself. I sometimes feel jealousy. All of these are barriers to me leading my true, honest life. What I was put here to do. I came across this post called 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself; a friend posted it on Facebook.
I read through the list and made mental notes of which of these items I exhibited myself.
- 4. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner. The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.
5. Stop trying to be someone you’re not. One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else.
7. Stop being scared to make a mistake. Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing.
20. Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it anyway. Just do what you know in your heart is right.
24. Stop following the path of least resistance. Life is not easy, especially when you plan on achieving something worthwhile. Don’t take the easy way out. Do something extraordinary.
These were some of them. #4 is a tough one for me and only now — at 35 years of age — am I learning how to properly be more attentive to myself, listening to what I need, offering myself love, compassion, and understanding. #7 has always been hard for me as well. I remember, in my past relationship, the fear I had in making decisions when it involved my ex-partner, because I was scared that I would make a mistake.
Which of these 30 do you see in yourself?