10 Differences Between a Swedish Boyfriend and a Normal Boyfriend
1. A normal boyfriend sees living together as a natural step toward marriage.
A Swedish boyfriend is happily sambo, has fredagsmys and babies with you without feeling the need to get married.
2. A normal boyfriend raises his voice when you fight.
A Swedish boyfriend has such a straight face when you’re screaming at him you don’t know if he’s even angry or just trying to remember to buy mellanmjölk and kvarg tomorrow.
3. A normal boyfriend has a ton of nicknames for you.
A Swedish boyfriend narrows it down to either your name or älskling.
4. A normal boyfriend wears sweatpants to the gym.
A Swedish boyfriend gets his Haglöfs/Nike/Peak Performance skinny black tights on and wears as much lycra as possible when working out at SATS or Fitness24Seven.
5. A normal boyfriend will always insist on paying when you’re going out.
A Swedish boyfriend is completely into the whole gender equality thing and asks you to go Dutch.
6. A normal boyfriend’s looks don’t draw more attention than yours when vacationing outside of Sweden.
A Swedish boyfriend gets the girls abroad projecting that he’s basically Alexander Skarsgård in person — an immaculately dressed, tall, well-groomed boy with good hair, jeans shorts and stylish sunglasses (preferably a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers).
7. A normal boyfriend has his ups and downs.
A Swedish boyfriend has never put his ass on an emotional roller coaster and is always lugn som en filbunke.
8. A normal boyfriend has issues with your male friends.
A Swedish boyfriend happily hangs out together with you and your killkompisar and makes sure to invite his tjejkompisar as well.
9. A normal boyfriend buys you flowers on your birthday.
A Swedish boyfriend buys you that Efva Attling bracelet you’ve been eyeing for years, a Sandqvist backpack or anything else he has carefully selected and wrapped.
10. A normal boyfriend courts you with dinners and flowers when dating.
A Swedish boyfriend doesn’t date. You just see each other until he one day decides his tooth brush is a part of the decoration at your place and OLW-chips and Cola on a Friday night is a given.