1. To actually welcome associations with Arnold and Sound Of Music.
Telling someone you are from Austria can lead to one of three responses:
- The person has an idea of where Austria is geographically, maybe has even traveled to Europe before. Rare, but it happens.
- Your conversation partner blurts out keywords like “Arnold” (Schwarzenegger) or “Sound Of Music”. Not quite at the educational level of example #1, but hey, at least it’s something.
- A confused look manifests on your partner’s face, followed by: “Oh. Don’t you guys eat kangaroo there?” Facepalm.
2. Wienerschnitzel is a fast food chain.
Seeing the name of a Viennese culinary icon on a triangular-shaped edifice of a fast food joint for the first time can be shocking. Even more disturbing is the fact that what they are selling does not relate in any way to a breaded, deep fried veal cutlet, usually served with potato salad.