THE ANNUAL CRAVE SYDNEY International Food Festival started on October 1 and runs through the end of the month. It celebrates local food with a series of “100 mile” events (where chefs use only foods that are sourced within a 100-mile radius), culminating in the 100 mile challenge.
There’s also the Cocktail of the Month, with specials on cocktails at a dozen or so bars. I love the randomness of cocktail names: Purple Dayz, Magdalena, King Louis’ Mistress, and Dirty Carpet Disco.
Here are 10 events you can still go to before the festival ends (all prices are in Australian Dollars):
Night Noodle Markets
- Through October 21, 5-9pm: Dozens of stalls selling noodles, dumplings, and other Asian foods. There’s also three bars and entertainment, including Chinese lion dancing.
High Tea at Sea
- Wednesdays and Saturdays, 2:30-3:30pm: For $45 ride on the MV Sydney 2000 through Sydney Harbour and eat savory & sweet treats, and drink a glass of Brown Brothers sparkling wine, tea, and coffee.
Wine and Cheese World Tour
- Sunday to Thursday throughout October, 5-10pm: $40 for four matching wines and cheeses.
Alice in Culinary Land
- October 20-21, 7:30-11:30pm: $145 for a six-course meal and four glasses of wine. Themed dress is encouraged.
Artisan Salumi and Pizza-making
- October 22, 10am-noon: $110 master class on Italian smallgoods and artisan pizza-making. The class includes tastings of the range of La Rosa Bar and Pizza’s hand-crafted smallgoods and pizza, with paired wines.
Breakfast on Bondi
- October 23, from 6am: A new event this year, it’s a BYO breakfast that includes a didgeridoo welcome to be followed by a 50-piece orchestra playing on the beach. Celebrities, surfers, and chefs will be in attendance.
Summer Hill Grand Food Bazaar
- October 23, 10am-4pm: Try Summer Hill’s eclectic food outlets at a series of street stalls set up by local restaurants outside their premises. There will also be live performances.
Cinema e Cibo
- October 24, 6-10:30pm: $60 to watch an Italian classic film while eating porcini popcorn, pasta, and lemon-rosemary ice lollies.
100 mile meals: Wonderful Wollongong
- October 27, 6:30-10:30pm: $95 for locally caught seafood and locally grown vegetables and herbs matched with South Coast wines.
Oysters in the House
- October 30, noon-3pm and 4-8pm: $30 to taste wine and oysters.
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
80,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
75,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points