Price of Travel have put together a “Backpacker Index” which breaks down the costs of visiting cities around the world. This research was formulated via the following elements;
- One night in the cheapest bunk at the least expensive hostel with a good location and good reviews.
- Two public transportation rides per day.
- One paid/famous attraction per day (Every city is loaded with free things to do for budget-conscious travelers, but here we take the average cost of a major attraction in each city for each day.).
- Three “budget” meals per day.
- Three cheap, local beers each day as an “entertainment fund.” Non-drinkers might have dessert and coffee or attend a local music performance instead, so this is a general benchmark that should be proportional for each city.
While this data is meant for backpackers and budget travelers, the proportions will be nearly identical, so the list should also be useful to those with more money to spend. Here are the top 50 cheapest cities to visit in 2017.