1. In 1949, spray paint was invented in Chicago.
A photo posted by @sentrock on
2. The Chicago River is the only river in the world that flows backward.
In 1887, the flow of the Chicago River through civil engineering by taking water from Lake Michigan and discharging it into the Mississippi River watershed was reversed.
A photo posted by @julee.reyy on
3. More than 50 million people visited Chicago in 2014.
With a skyline like this who can blame them.
A photo posted by Nycole Hampton (@msnycole) on
4. Hugh Hefner started Playboy Magazine in Chicago in 1953.
The first Playboy Mansion was also in Chicago.
A photo posted by Brownie (@jbro313) on
5. In 1893, the Ferris wheel was invented in Chicago in 1893 for the World’s Columbian Exposition.
Today, Navy Pier features a beautiful Ferris wheel of it’s own.
☀️👙⚓️ #OakStreetBeach + #NavyPier = solid last hours in #Chicago before heading home
A photo posted by Kim Sibley (@kimsibley) on
6. The largest collection of Impressionist paintings in the USA is at The Art Institute of Chicago.
It’s no wonder Trip Advisor named the Art Institute of Chicago the World’s Best Museum in 2014.
A photo posted by Carla Bank (@carlabankart) on
7. On a clear day you can see four states from the Willis Tower (Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin).
A photo posted by Farynrhaye Dubovich (@sultryserbian88) on
8. Historic Route 66 began in Chicago.
A photo posted by Tina Chang (@tina_paopao) on
9. In 1885, Chicago became home to the first skyscraper.
The first skyscraper, the Home Insurance Building, was originally nine stories tall. The tallest building in Chicago currently is Willis Tower.
A photo posted by DJ Lee (@debbiejeanlee) on
10. Every year for St. Patrick’s Day, the Chicago River is dyed green.
Thousands gather to watch the Plumbers Union dye the Chicago River a bright green shade. The dye is actually 45 lbs of vegetable based dye and is actually orange before it hits the water.
A photo posted by Julia (@juliworld320) on
11. The first controlled, self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction happened under University of Chicago’s former football field.
A photo posted by vera (@verazhu1988) on
12. Navy Pier has fireworks shows Wednesday and Saturday all summer long.
A photo posted by Blake Prunsky (@blakeprunsky) on
13. Walt Disney was born in Chicago.
A photo posted by Chris Crockett (@chi_crockett312) on
Photo: Chris Palmer
Best Travel Credit Cards
Top offers from our partners
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
100,000 bonus points
The Platinum Card®
100,000 bonus points
American Express® Gold Card
60,000 bonus points