Wherever they are in the world, Philadelphians stick out like sore thumbs — the snarky tone, the accent, and the undying love for our city give us away every time. A source of pride for all who hail from the City of Brotherly Love, here are 10 dead giveaways that you’re from Philly.
1. Everything you own just happens to be Eagles green.
Look, it’s not intentional, mostly. Yes, you bought that fresh Malcolm Jenkins jersey at the start of the season, but the fact that almost every other T-shirt, sweatshirt, and somehow even the cardigans in your closet are that same olive green has little to do with a conscious decision. It just kind of happens.
2. You know that there are no heroes, only hoagies.
Try walking into any store serving sandwiches in Philadelphia and telling them that you want your sandwich as a “hero” and you’re likely to get ignored. If you’re from Philly, you know the only sandwich worth eating is a hoagie, and you damn well know to call it that.
3. In the summer, you go to the shore, not the beach.
You know that a proper summer weekend is spent at the Jersey Shore and that it has no resemblance to The Jersey Shore.
4. You can recount exactly where you were and what you were doing the day the Eagles won the Superbowl.
Your parents know where they were when man landed on the moon and you know exactly where you were when the Eagles won their first Super Bowl. More than likely, you also know what you were wearing, who you were with, and where you were standing when it all went down.
5. You know that Wawa is the perfect place for every meal and every occasion.
Wawa is as sacred to Philadelphians as their sports teams. If you’re from here, you know that it is so much more than a convenience store and that meals from your local Wawa are acceptable for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dates, and birthdays. From tailgates to wedding anniversaries, you know that Wawa hoagies are the solution to any occasion.
6. You know how to pronounce Schuylkill and Passyunk properly.
You say “SKOO-kill” and “PASH-unk.”
7. Summer desserts have nothing to do with ice cream and everything to do with water ice.
You know that a meal in the summer can only end with a local “water ice.” The name might sound boring, but you know the taste is anything but.
8. You only eat cheesesteaks when you have non-Philly friends visiting.
No one from Philadelphia eats cheesesteaks all the time. Aside from the occasional late-night food, in which case you’re more likely to hit a Wawa than grab a cheesesteak, these are best reserved for when out-of-towners visit. If you do go, you are certainly not getting them from Pat’s or Geno’s.
9. You don’t know what Gritty is and you don’t care, because love is blind.
As a Philly resident, you don’t question what Gritty is. Gritty is to be revered and showered with love and affection regardless of who or what he/she/it is.
10. You know that New Year’s Eve is for amateurs and New Year’s Day is for the pros.
As the year comes to an end, you’re more likely to be at dinner or home than out at overpriced open bars because you know that the real party is the next day. Whether you have an in as a Mummer or not, in jeans or in dresses, you know all the real fun is found on Broad and Second Street on the first day of the year.